Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Chris__M on 17 Oct 2021
  • The one thing that might make a difference (for me) is when I first started with my old Traeger, I was cooking on "Smoke" on a 3 way controller, which roughly equated to 180° F, only increasing temps later in the cook.

More recently, on my GMG portable and the new LG grill, I've been starting at 225° F, as I've seen suggested in a lot of places.

Now I have started cooking overnight, so - if anything - want my cooks to take longer, so it gets me through the night before it needs my attention, I may revert to 180° F as a starting temperature. Which may give me an opportunity to harvest juices from the pan when I wrap in the morning.

Worth an experiment. I haven't yet picked a free weekend in November for my next practice cook, but I definitely want to schedule one, and keep my hand in.
  • #17 by Chris__M on 17 Oct 2021
  • As you might have noticed from the colour of the pulled pork, I have reverted to a (South Carolina?) mustard/vinegar sauce, and this one was brilliant. My friends ended up with three small foil trays, one of which we demolished at lunchtime. I still have loads, so I will probably freeze some. In the past, I have passed "spare" BBQ on to neighbours, but at the moment, everyone is being sensibly cautious about accepting food cooked in other households. Which is a shame, because I love sharing.

I am also now a lot more confident of my brisket, which I am still perfecting. We had some with lunch yesterday, and it was superb. I think I will do another brisket point in November, and then try a whole one in December or January. That'll be a lot of meat for me (I have a big freezer!), but I want to get to a point where when I have visitors, I know exactly what I am doing.
  • #18 by Chris__M on 17 Oct 2021
  • I also came away from my visit with these magnificent quinces!

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #19 by Brushpopper on 17 Oct 2021
  • Those quinces look like a cross between an apple and a pear.  According to Google they are similar to a pear and a member of the pomme family.
  • #20 by Chris__M on 17 Oct 2021
  • Ah sorry, I overlooked that not everyone would know what they were. I think they are grown in the States, but -  like here - aren't very well known.

They are of the apple/pear family, and fairly large in size, in comparison. They are generally not good to eat raw, even when ripe - a sour astringent taste and fibrous texture  (there are exceptions with some varieties). However, they are really nice after cooking - peeled, cored and stewed, the white flesh turns pink and they have a slightly tart (but very nice) taste, and quite perfumed.

They are very high in pectin, so are more often used in preserving. Quince jelly is a fairly popular thing here, and is traditionally eaten with cheese, but it also goes well with meats like turkey. The fruit isn't very common here (UK), so most people probably come across (shop) quince jelly before they ever see a real quince. The Portugese for quince is marmelo, and that is where we get the word marmalade.

Another way to prepare quince is to blet them. This means laying them out in a single layer somewhere outside but sheltered. Preferably on newspaper or something. You don't want the fruits touching each other. A combination of decay and frost breaks down the flesh and makes them sweet and soft and edible. But it looks like you are eating something just this side of being rotten, which doesn't appeal to me. So I cook them instead.

I came in contact with someone in a neighbouring village a few years back who was advertising on Facebook for people to pick fruit from her tree (they are decorative, but not many people know what to do with them). That was my first time experimenting with the fruit, and I had fun. However, the encounter was not, so I never went back in future years. But since then I have bought "shop" quince jelly, and it is the secret ingredient in my pulled pork. ;)

I now have my own young dwarf quince in a pot, which is too young to bear fruit, but I have plans to plant it in the front lawn, as I think it will be strong enough next year to transplant, and maybe bear small fruit in a year or so.

But by chance, these friends of mine mentioned *they* also had a quince tree, and needed to shift some fruit, so I was happy to take some off their hands.
  • #21 by Brushpopper on 17 Oct 2021
  • This site is so informative.  :cool:
  • #22 by Darwin on 17 Oct 2021
  • Thanks Chris.  I have never seen a quince and I can't remember ever tasting one.  I will have to look around for them.  I would like a box of sloes, never seen those here either.
Pages:
Actions