Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broth based stew  (Read 490 times)

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
Broth based stew
« on: October 21, 2021, 12:30:20 AM »

In a recent thread called "In a Stew" we had a discussion on what a stew is. https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=6938.0
I had given my recipe for a broth based stew, which triggered the discussion. Is it a stew, or is it a soup?
I made a stew overnight and will show how this broth based stew is cooked and what it looks like when it is done.
I copied the recipe from the referenced thread. After the recipe I will comment on decisions I made for this particular stew.

I make it as follows:

2 pounds of beef stew meat (I used to rotate weekly between beef, chicken and pork, but beef is best)
Large slices of the following. The key is to keep the pieces large to help hold them together, and so each bite is different. This is not a homogenized dish like many stews.
Zucchini (Maximize the peel in the slices to help hold the zucchini together during cooking. I do 1 1/2 to 2 inch slices. Zucchini is a dominate feature of this stew and works because it is broth based.)
Onions (cut in wedges)
Carrots (I like large carrots cut in 1 1/2 to 2 inch pieces)
Green beans
Tomatoes (cut in wedges)
Corn from the cob (as a sweetener for a lower carb stew without potatoes)
Potatoes (I occasionally add potatoes but prefer the low carb variant)
Cabbage (cut in wedges and layer, don't shred)
Garlic

Mix the vegetables on the bottom adding the cabbage as a layer on top. Vegetables cook the slowest.
I then layer the meat on top of the cabbage.
I make the broth using one can of vegetable broth and one can of V8 juice. I add Tiger sauce to add some bite. (It is important to use vegetable broth and not beef or chicken. Vegetable broth blends better with the V8.)
I spice with pepper. Sometimes I add some bay leaves from the garden. I do not add salt. There is enough salt already in the broth.

Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, allow to cool and mix. Serve in a bowl since it is broth based.

Comments on this particular stew.

The size that each vegetable is cut is very important to the final product. Size decisions are based on the size of the particular vegetables that will go into the stew. The key is to cut them so that they hold together over the course of a long cook.
Bulk carrots were very large. This is actually good for the stew. I usually look for large carrots.
The zucchini was larger that ideal. I used the smallest I could find. I usually like smaller zucchini's so that I can slice them long. This provides a lot of peel to help hold the zucchini together. I had to cut these in shorter slices since the zucchini's were so large.
There was no corn on the cob so I used canned corn. This was a low carb version with no potatoes. The corn serves to add some sweetness.
There were no green beans so I used a bag of precut and washed green beans. I broke the green beans in half.
The broth was made with one can of spicy V8 juice, 20 ounces of vegetable broth (made from Better than Bouillon) and Tiger Sauce. The stew was seasoned with minced garlic, ground pepper and two bay leaves.
Meat was placed on top since it cooks slower than vegetables. I started the crock pot on high for one hour and then switched to low over night. I cooked the stew for nine hours.
The pictures show what went into the stew and how I cut them. I had mentioned that I keep the pieces large so that you can eat the stew with a fork.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 01:48:19 AM by Hank D Thoreau »

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
Re: Broth based stew
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 12:32:23 AM »

The pictures show the completed stew: in the crock pot; in containers for storage, and in the bowl.

I ate 3 bowls today. You can see that the lighting changed. I pulled the stew off in the morning and ate the bowl later in the afternoon.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 05:56:26 AM »

That is a great recipe, no matter what it is called! I appreciate being able to see how you cut the vegetables. Your version looks more like a hearty stew than what I came up with.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 03:34:55 PM »

That is a great recipe, no matter what it is called! I appreciate being able to see how you cut the vegetables. Your version looks more like a hearty stew than what I came up with.

I think some of the vegetables were even bigger than they look in the pictures. The key is to cut them big so they don't turn to mush in the crock pot.

I usually leave more skin on the zucchini but they were pretty large. Smaller diameters means I can cut them longer. I bought the smallest I could find.

This is the low carb version. As such, calories are a bit low. If you need something with more calories then you can add potatoes. I do this on occasion.

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 04:19:02 PM »

It looks very similar to caldo de rez or the Mexican beef stew that I love.  That's the only part of winter that I like is getting to make caldo de rez or caldo de pollo.  They are both cooked with the corn still on the cob which gives it the distinctive flavor.  Without the cob it tastes different for some reason
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 05:45:25 PM »

Wonder what the difference between caldo de rez & Cocido is?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

SmokinHandyman

• Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 06:25:56 PM »

Looks good to me
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

SmokinHandyman

• Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 06:47:14 PM »

Hank, you spoke of Tiger sauce in several of your posts.
I use to get it all the time and forgot about it.
Good stuff
Just ordered six bottles on Amazon
 :clap:
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 07:43:06 PM »

I pulled up some pictures and they both look very good, and similar. Caldo de rez seemed to be closer to a soup than what I make. My consistency was closer to Cocido, but with slightly different vegetables.

I will have to look up some recipes to see how our broths compare.

I am sure mine is different since I use all vegetable based liquids. I have tried beef broth but it is too rich for me. I like the V8, vegetable broth and Tiger Sauce combination. I think it helps bring out the vegetables which are really the highlight of this recipe.

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 09:57:33 PM »

I think it is where you are from.  Don't quote me on that though.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 11:15:24 PM »

I have checked a bunch of Cocido recipes and am ready to try and make it. I use recipes for ideas and visualize what I want to cook.

I have some ideas I want to try. You'll hear about them if they turn out...or if they are a epic failure.

It seems there is a lot of tradition around the cooking and serving of Cocido. It is also common to many countries.

I am pretty sure I can modify my stew to make a Cocido in a crock pot.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 11:18:50 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 11:58:07 PM »

A buddy's father owned a Mexican Restaurant in Fresno.  His father was from Culiacan.  Was the place I had it 1st in the early 80's.  It also had the whole corn cob cooked in it!  To me it was more soup then stew, but it was very good.  It was made with a rich beef broth!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up