Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking Input/Ideas re Chicken  (Read 325 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Seeking Input/Ideas re Chicken
« on: October 24, 2021, 10:51:53 AM »

We are considering entering a bbq competition next year -- usually held in May/early June in Fredericksburg, Va.  I am not interested in submitting the "normal" chicken entry.  Yes, I know it will cost me dearly, but I am more interested in being a bit creative rather than another trophy.

I am limited by the rules of the competition.  I would like to experiment with white breast chicken pinwheels, but can't use any kind of stuffing.  So I would have to make my pinwheel "stuffing" out of a sauce. I have been trying to think of some flavor combinations to begin practicing with.  I have come up with olive oil, rosemary and garlic;  maybe some type of honey mustard;  maybe something with lemon (like a lemon piccata).

Any suggestions?

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Seeking Input/Ideas re Chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 04:30:55 PM »

Flavors for me are simple.

I am thinking you are going to flatten and roll the breast meat? I am thinking if it is allowed, could you marinate flattened skinless thighs in your seasoning, then lay them on before rolling them up? You would still be all chicken.

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 07:20:40 PM »

I’ve been really big on chipotle flavors with chicken the past couple years. Kinda 180 from things you’ve mentioned so far, but what about something like a roasted garlic and adobo chipotle chicken bone in split breast? I feel like the natural bland of white chicken works well with a little spice and a little extra help from smoked peppers helps since you generally cook chicken hotter which gives it less smoke to absorb.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 08:14:33 PM »

Flavors for me are simple.

I am thinking you are going to flatten and roll the breast meat? I am thinking if it is allowed, could you marinate flattened skinless thighs in your seasoning, then lay them on before rolling them up? You would still be all chicken.

I will butterfly the breast, then pound out to try and thin and flatten.  Then sauce or marinade or mixture on one side, roll up in a pinwheel and grill.  Maybe glaze with a sauce.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 08:16:35 PM »

I’ve been really big on chipotle flavors with chicken the past couple years. Kinda 180 from things you’ve mentioned so far, but what about something like a roasted garlic and adobo chipotle chicken bone in split breast? I feel like the natural bland of white chicken works well with a little spice and a little extra help from smoked peppers helps since you generally cook chicken hotter which gives it less smoke to absorb.

The flavors would be interesting.  I would probably have to work hard not to have a lot of heat in it since most judges favor sweet over heat.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 08:46:34 PM »

maybe work on a chipotle or chimichurri paste that has some brown sugar in it to sweeten it up
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 09:45:30 PM »

The flavors would be interesting.  I would probably have to work hard not to have a lot of heat in it since most judges favor sweet over heat.

Chipotle can often be done in ways that aren’t super spicy. My daughter that complains that everything is too spicy (moderate amounts of black pepper even), eats lots of food with chipotle rubs. Chipotle also pairs very well with sweet too. Sweet Baby Rays makes a Honey Chipotle bbq sauce. I use chipotle tabasco in my bbq sauce and it makes a huge difference in flavor over a more typical hot sauce but doesn’t make it hot at all. It’s a sweet sauce with 1/4 cup of brown sugar in it. I use ground chipotle in most recipes in place of cayenne too.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 09:47:28 PM by glitchy »
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive
Pages: [1]   Go Up