Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jdmessner on 25 Oct 2021
  • I am on the board for our local food pantry and thrift store. We are in the midst of putting together a three year strategic plan. Tomorrow we are having a four hour session and snacks  will be essential.

A couple of weeks ago our county held its annual CROP Walk. CROP goes back to post WWII as it helped restore countries in Europe that were devastated by the war. They sill do a lot of really great things globally and locally to fight hunger and  promote healthy living conditions.

I challenged the rest of the board to either participate or donate $25 to CROP. If they do, I told them I would make sure the refreshments would be worth showing up for. If they do not the snacks will consist of triscuits, cheese wiz, and weak decaf coffee!

The menu I came up with is:

MikeMcQ's twice baked salmon open faced sandwiches. This has become a go to staple for these kinds of things.

Bentley's Cape Cod Chicken Salad. However, the name may need to be changed to Grand Traverse Bay Chicken Salad, since I will be using dried cherries instead of cranberries.

After seeing the recent pork shot posting, as well as one that was posted a while back, I will give that a go.

My wife did a lot of baking for various farmers markets in the area during the  summer. Our freezer is full of excess baked goods. So I will do my best to clear some freezer space by offering 7 layer bars, brownies, and peanut butter brownies, along with banana and pumpkin bread. Coffee, cider and water for beverages.

Hope to post pictures tomorrow.
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 25 Oct 2021
  • I would easily donate $50 for that menu!  Good job JD!
  • #3 by ylr on 26 Oct 2021
  • Here's a link to CROP's main page(Hope this is OK), if anyone is interested.
  • #4 by BigDave83 on 26 Oct 2021
  • I don't walk so pretty good any more, but I would do my best to finish the walk if that meal was waiting at the end. it would be cold by the time I got there.

I remember them being held around here a long time ago, have not heard about them, they may still be happening here.
  • #5 by Bentley on 26 Oct 2021
  • Thanks.

Done.

Here's a link to CROP's main page(Hope this is OK), if anyone is interested.
  • #6 by jdmessner on 26 Oct 2021
  • Thanks for posting the CROP Walk link. It was a fun challenge. It is kind of weird doing something like this on a small scale. Normally when I do something like this it is for at least 50 people. There are nine people on the board and two zoomed. Even though I scaled-down, let's just say there was more than enough to go around!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #7 by WiPelletHead on 26 Oct 2021
  • That all looking wonderful JD. The world needs more people like you.  :clap: :clap:
  • #8 by jdmessner on 27 Oct 2021
  • Sorry for the duplicate picture. I meant to post a better look at the desserts.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #9 by Kristin Meredith on 27 Oct 2021
  • That all looks incredible and such lovely presentation!!!
Pages:
Actions