Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic Brine  (Read 1888 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Basic Brine
« on: October 01, 2017, 02:39:48 PM »

Here’s a basic brine for pork and poultry.  It's the only one I use.

My sincere advice is, "Don’t get caught up in a complex brine."  I have been using brines for 40+ years and I can assure you that for pork, once you get past salt and sugar you're wasting your time and money on extra ingredients.  Many recommended turkey brines cost more than the turkey but bring almost nothing to the flavor of the bird past salt and sugar.

Trying to infuse big pork chunks with subtle flavors thru a brine is neither cost effective nor likely to achieve the desired result.  Mix in whatever flavors you want when you pull your pork.

INGREDIENTS
1 gallon water.
¾ cup kosher salt

½ cup sugar of choice (brown,white or turbinado)

Palm full of garlic powder

-OR- couple three Tblsp of minced garlic (from a jar is fine)

NOTES:
     ●  This can easily be mixed cold.
     ●  Add the garlic powder after you see that the sugar and salt have dissolved.
     ●  Depending on the vessel you use you may need more brine but keep the proportions the same.
     ●  Brine pork for 12 hours.  I don't notice any difference when they're brined longer.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Flboy76

• Using less gas.
Re: Basic Brine
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »

when I first started pellet cooking, I did not fully understand the difference between brine and marinate ?  What I have come to believe is that a brine involves salt and at least 12 or more hours to brine and a marinate is less or no salt and maybe 4-12 hrs to marinate. Is that it in a nut shell ?
Floyd Camp Chef DLX Webber Kettle

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 12:40:05 PM »

Yes, brines are salt based and add moisture to meat.  They penetrate deep into meat and can also add a bit of flavor.

Marinades are acid based and don't add much moisture but add a lot of flavor.  They don't penetrate very far into meat—probably less than ¼".

I've never done both to the same piece of meat but I think it's possible, but not simultaneously.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Saddleman

• Using less gas.
  • Vini,Vidi,Vici
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 10:01:44 PM »

I’m going to give this a try, thanks for sharing.  Keep smoking Dan
If you’re looking it’s not cooking.

MikeBsBBQ

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 12:19:53 AM »

Thanks so much PMillen for the brine info. Just what I have been looking for. Keeping it simple is always best. Going to cook some turkeys in the coming weeks.
Mike B
So. California

MMike

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Having fun!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 09:00:16 PM »

This is great info. I needed this!
Yoder 640s
Pages: [1]   Go Up