Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by reubenray on 30 Oct 2021
  • With the new smoker I am tempted to try a full packer instead of the flats I have done.  Sam's has the prime packer for $5.48/lb and the choice for $4.88/lb and the flat for choice is $8.48/lb.  Are the packers actually cheaper after cutting off pounds of fat?  Also is the prime worth more than the choice cut?  The next question is how hard is it to trim a packer?
  • #2 by TravlinMan on 30 Oct 2021
  • Aaron Franklin (Franklins BBQ?) from PBS and Youtube has, from I thought, quite a few insightful ideas.
    Of course, most everyone here has more experience than I on this subject, I just try to trim down to about an eighth to a quarter inch, rub on the salt and pepper etc., and run with it
  • #3 by bbqking01 on 30 Oct 2021
  • I usually just trim the icky looking stuff off the whole packer. Leaving the fat cap on. I try to get it to around a quarter inch of fat. But honestly, for me, my best briskets have been when I just trim off junk and don’t worry about how much fat there is in the fat cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #4 by SmokinHandyman on 30 Oct 2021
  • That is some good looking brisket
  • #5 by Kristin Meredith on 30 Oct 2021
  • Everyone always seems to buy the flats alone.  I like a whole packer because I love the point -- nothing better to eat in the whole wide world! Go for the packer.
  • #6 by reubenray on 30 Oct 2021
  • Everyone always seems to buy the flats alone.  I like a whole packer because I love the point -- nothing better to eat in the whole wide world! Go for the packer.

The main reason I usually get the flats is it is only two of us.  But we have started freezing our leftovers being we got another freezer.  Do you separate the flat and point?
  • #7 by Bentley on 30 Oct 2021
  • Why trim fat before cooking? It is not possible to trim fat after it is cooked?  You have a great source of flavor that can be cooked on the meat and then, if need be cut off after the cooking process.  I have never understood why folks would ever trim a brisket before it is cooked!

And yes, I used to trim Briskets years ago, but I no longer see a reason to cut huge chunks of flavor off a piece of beef before it is cooked!
  • #8 by reubenray on 30 Oct 2021
  • Why trim fat before cooking? It is not possible to trim fat after it is cooked?  You have a great source of flavor that can be cooked on the meat and then, if need be cut off after the cooking process.  I have never understood why folks would ever trim a brisket before it is cooked!

And yes, I used to trim Briskets years ago, but I no longer see a reason to cut huge chunks of flavor off a piece of beef before it is cooked!

Again I have never trimmed one, but doesn't it have "hard" fat?
  • #9 by bbqking01 on 30 Oct 2021
  • I agree with the not trimming fat. What I do trim is there is often some nasty looking junk. Discolored meat, or slimy fat. I separate after the cook. Not before. Some times the sides have a weird looking brownish color. I trim that.

• #10 by hughver on 30 Oct 2021
  • Guess that I'm the odd ball here. I separate the point from the flat and trim off all visible fat. Rationale is that there is more bare meat for seasoning and smoke penetration. Color me crazy but the results are very good. I also only smoke on low to an IT of 125° then sous vide at 134° for 48 hours. perfect medium rare tender/moist brisket.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Oct 2021
  • I also trim most fat so I can get more rub on the actual meat that I will eat.
  • #12 by bbqking01 on 30 Oct 2021
  • How I do mine

• #13 by reubenray on 30 Oct 2021
  • Next question.  What do I look for in picking a packer?  When picking a flat I look for even thickness.
  • #14 by Bentley on 30 Oct 2021
  • Get the biggest one they have!
  • #15 by Brushpopper on 31 Oct 2021
  • Next question.  What do I look for in picking a packer?  When picking a flat I look for even thickness.

I always try to get a packer under 10 pounds if I can find it.  I also like them to bend as close to 90 degrees as possible in the cryovac when you pick it up by the flat.  The ones that are stiff as a board are tough in my experience.  I remember reading on here about getting a "left hand" brisket also.  The link to the article is in Reply #5.  I tried one and it was tender.  And I never trim the fat off either unless it looks bad.
    https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=653.msg7312#msg7312
Pages:
Actions