Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 Oct 2021
  • I don't think I have ever seen a packer under 10#.  Most of what I have seen have been in the 15-18# range.
  • #17 by Kristin Meredith on 31 Oct 2021
  • I have only cooked 2 briskets since Bent is the one who always cooks them for comps and we have maintained that practice over the years.  But neither of us separates the point and flat.  I understand the rational behind separating if you want to have more rub.  I am not a fan of a lot of rub on all surfaces, so am happy with the rub on just the whole packer and then cooked.
  • #18 by Brushpopper on 31 Oct 2021
  • I don't think I have ever seen a packer under 10#.  Most of what I have seen have been in the 15-18# range.

Every now and then I'll find one and freeze it until I need to cook it.  The smallest I remember was between 8 and 9 pounds.  They are usually around 10 though.  I haven't even looked in a long time due to the prices now.
  • #19 by Bentley on 31 Oct 2021
  • It is funny the different things you her on the internet.  And I am not say one is right over the other.  I have always heard you look for harder fat as it shows that the beef was fed more grain, which in turn would make for a stiffer brisket.  That has always been my guide for picking brisket.  I have also heard that the color of the fat makes a difference but I am not sure about that one.
  • #20 by reubenray on 31 Oct 2021
  • Is prime worth the extra cost over choice?
  • #21 by Bentley on 31 Oct 2021
  • Not for a Brisket by my standards, unless the price difference is just a few dollars for the whole thing!
  • #22 by Hank D Thoreau on 31 Oct 2021
  • My local Cosco carries both prime and choice. The full packers are usually prime and actually cost less per pound than the flats, which are typically choice.

I am still working on trying to cook a full packer where both the point and the flat are juicy. Usually, I get the point right but the flat ends up a bit dry.

The best brisket I ever cooked was the first, which was a flat cooked with charcoal on my Weber kettle. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.
  • #23 by bbqking01 on 31 Oct 2021
  • I tried 3 times to do brisket on my Weber kettle. One was edible, one was not, the third was ok, I just cut it wrong. My wife on the other hand nailed it her first try. And 3-4 times after. I told her she was the brisket captain from then on. Then I bought an EX6 SmokeFire…several brisket later i have yet to do a bad one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #24 by SmokinHandyman on 31 Oct 2021
  • Is prime worth the extra cost over choice?

Like the prime
Pages:
Actions