Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eggplant Parmesan  (Read 300 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Eggplant Parmesan
« on: November 01, 2021, 11:36:55 PM »

Tonight I made Eggplant Parmesan. I made my own simple sauce of onions, leeks, carrots, celery and garlic with diced tomatoes and acan of sauce mixed in. I cooked it about three hours. I did not saute the eggplant in oil as I find it absorbs to much of it. Instead after salting I placed in a baking pan with a layer of sauce on the bottom and then added a slice of eggplan topped with sauce and cheese (provolone and parmesan). I repeated this three time covered with foil and cooked at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes, removed the foil and cooked an other ten minutes to brown the cheese.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Eggplant Parmesan
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 07:16:32 AM »

I like your recipe and it looks wonderful. Part of the reason I don't like eggplant parm is I also think it absorbs too much oil when frying.  I will have to give this a try!

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 08:16:05 AM »

That looks pretty good and even healthy. I may have to give this a try. I have not had eggplant since growing up, I was not a fan of the tough skin. I don't remember how it was made back then.

wonder if you used a cooking spray if you wanted to brown it instead of butter or oil.

It doesn't look like it, but is it breaded like chicken parm?

urnmor

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 08:32:31 AM »

That looks pretty good and even healthy. I may have to give this a try. I have not had eggplant since growing up, I was not a fan of the tough skin. I don't remember how it was made back then.

wonder if you used a cooking spray if you wanted to brown it instead of butter or oil.

It doesn't look like it, but is it breaded like chicken parm?

This cook did not use any oil or spray.  To brown the top you could place it under a broiler for about a minute or do what I did and cook and additional ten minutes with the foil off.  If you do not like the skin you can peel the eggplant.  I make it with the skin on as it tenderizes when cooking. 

You can definitely bread it however I did not.  as I was not saute the slices I did not see a need.  Also I do not use any oil or spray when making as I think eggplant absorbs it too much and ruins the taste.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 10:47:00 AM »

Have you ever baked on a rack after salting?  I have always wondered how the slice would come out if done that way?  Wonder if it would just wither and wrinkle?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 01:14:25 PM »

This sounds like a good application for my air fryer(steam oven).
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

urnmor

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 01:26:03 PM »

Have you ever baked on a rack after salting?  I have always wondered how the slice would come out if done that way?  Wonder if it would just wither and wrinkle?

I have not however maybe others have and will let us know if they liked it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up