Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 02 Nov 2021

•   What one thing aggravates you the most about your pellet pit ?

Note: It's OK to list more than one.
  • #2 by Bentley on 02 Nov 2021
  • It wont go down to 70°.
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 02 Nov 2021
  • The  #&$^#(*$@  WIFI rarely works on the Chinese junk Memphis Elite.

Wanted to use it Friday/Saturday when I did the pulled pork.
    Told me something was wrong with my login credentials. WHAT ?
    The darn thing saves them so I don't have to type them and then tells me they are wrong.
    So I did a Forgot Password today and was able to log in, but it didn't show the grill temp.  I did have it on.
    Told me to go to my account settings so I could change the pwd to what I want.
    Didn't tell me where my account settings are though.
    Not on grill control panel, didn't find anything at memphisgrills.com, and couldn't find anything in the app.
    I hate this thing!!!

Guess I will never try to use it again to avoid the frustration.

• #4 by Canadian John on 03 Nov 2021

•  That sure as heck takes the fun out of cooking.. Are you not able to revert to basic ( non wifi ) operation and use a temperature monitoring system such as  Thermoworks Smoke? Of course, certain wifi features

will be lost. The reduced frustration may be worth it.
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 03 Nov 2021
  • I don't use the probe that comes with the grill. I use my Thermoworks Smoke.
    That is another pet peeve, three probe jacks, but they only give you one probe for a grill that cost over $5k.

The only thing I liked the WIFI for was to be able to raise/lower the temp.
    Put the pork butt on about 8:20PM and was going to start it out low and just raise the temp about 10:30PM from the convenience of my bedroom.

Still don't know what happened to the username/password not working.
    I'll have to contact Memphis or just stop using it. Haven't decided which yet.
  • #6 by Bentley on 03 Nov 2021
  • Yeah, give them a chance to get you right!
  • #7 by glitchy on 03 Nov 2021
  • It’s so darn easy that it feels like cheating :P

My only aggravation with the MAK is cleaning. Not that it’s difficult at all, but a little more work than most of the other pellet grills I’ve owned. I’ve had to remove the lid 3 times since March to scrape the inside of it down so mystery gunk would quit dripping everywhere. However, that has stopped since I quit foiling the drip pan (always made sure nothing was blocked for airflow). I’m just not sure if it was the foil or the drought we’ve been in that has cleared it up past few months. I think a lot of the cleaning gripe is I previously had two of the easiest pellet grills to clean with the Woodwind and SmokeFire. The SmokeFire was slide one grate over on the other, pull a flavorizer bar and scrape everything down the drain holes, repeat for other side. The Woodwind hardly had to be cleaned with the fire pot dump, I’d vac it out every 60-80 pound of pellets burned.

The MAK has been the best pellet grill I’ve owned, so I’ll take a little more work cleaning in trade.
  • #8 by glitchy on 03 Nov 2021
  • Still don't know what happened to the username/password not working.

I’ve seen a few complaints on other forums lately about Memphis WiFi, sounds like the WiFi chip they are using is very old and more and more people having problems with not being able to get/keep it working with newer routers. If you have a 2.4GHz guest network, I’d connect it to that if you aren’t already.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Nov 2021
  • Cleaning is my #1 issue followed by probes and wifi on the MAK.  It seems harder than it needs to be so I gave up on using it.  It is easier for me to turn on the grill and set the temp and go away than deal with the wifi.
  • #10 by glitchy on 03 Nov 2021
  • Cleaning is my #1 issue followed by probes and wifi on the MAK.  It seems harder than it needs to be so I gave up on using it.  It is easier for me to turn on the grill and set the temp and go away than deal with the wifi.

The trick to MAK WiFi is never touch anything other than the power button and that’s only to turn the grill on. Once on, use the web interface for everything else. You also have to connect within a certain amount of time or WiFi shuts off, even if you just want Smoke mode. I’ve probably done 50 plus cooks now and only time it hasn’t worked was when I didn’t try to connect until an hour or so later, went out and turned WiFi on via controller and was good again.
  • #11 by 02ebz06 on 03 Nov 2021

I’ve seen a few complaints on other forums lately about Memphis WiFi, sounds like the WiFi chip they are using is very old and more and more people having problems with not being able to get/keep it working with newer routers. If you have a 2.4GHz guest network, I’d connect it to that if you aren’t already.

I had to to install a WIFI access point closer to the grill than the router was to make it work at all.
    Apparently very weak WIFI.
    I have a ceiling fan next to the grill that uses WIFI.
    Have had no problem with it, even before adding the access point.

This is the first time I've had the username/password issue.
    Was always WIFI dropping before, then working the next time.

• #12 by Ruff on 06 Feb 2023
  • Everyone probably already knows this.  When you use the app on your phone both the Green Mountain Primes and the Camp Chef Apex have a fan only mode for cold smoking.
  • #13 by 02ebz06 on 07 Feb 2023
  • Welcome aboard Ruff. Glad you could join us.

I put a Savannah Stoker controller on my CampChef vertical smoker that has that feature.
    It's great for smoking cheese.
  • #14 by okie smokie on 07 Feb 2023

After my experience with the Beale Street, and then hearing about problems with the Elite as well, I would not desire any of their current products. No excuse is viable for them at their prices. After all, who wants to pay $5000-7000 for a pit that you have to place a drip pan under your butt or brisket to avoid a grease fire, or that the wifi is unreliable, or tru temp control is not accurate. Prestige? Pfffft. And China production did not help their  product at all!.
  • #15 by okie smokie on 08 Feb 2023
  • RT 1070. My only aggravation now that the adjustments have been made, is the time it takes to shut down after hot cooks. To avoid post shut off auger tube smolders and fires after a hot cook, (see my gripes elsewhere), I have developed a routine that works. But it takes a lot of time. First I have to wait for the temp to come back down to set temp i.e. 500 and stabilize. Then I turn down to 250 or so and then have to wait til it stabilizes at the lower temp. Then turn off. I have usually just gone ahead with dinner and check during, check again after supper before turn off. It works every time if I don't try to short cut the procedure, but sometimes it takes an hour til shut off. It means that usually I don't have time to clean pit until before the next cook. But the aggravation is mild and I love the 1070's performance otherwise. Low slow cooks are no problem: just shut off when done.
    P.S.: The new Dual 2.5/5.0 WiFi has always worked.
    John: What is your aggravation?

Pages:
Actions