Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Canadian John on 09 Feb 2023

•   Contrary to your Memphis experience, my now older Memphis Pro has been a dream.  It's so easy to clean (internally), heats up very quickly, and pellet use is low: all of this & more compared to my Traeger.

As for aggravation, I would have to list keeping it shiny & new looking. Being all stainless  requires frequent clean-ups & polishing. 

I am somewhat fanatical with with almost everything I own as keeping things clean, serviced and ready to go: house, car, tools, the list goes on... Is it worth it?  At times I wish I had a I don't care

approach to things. I would probably live longer if I did.

I am glad to hear your pit issues are resolved.. After all, cooking should be a pleasurable experience.
  • #17 by 02ebz06 on 09 Feb 2023
  • RT 1070. My only aggravation now that the adjustments have been made, is the time it takes to shut down after hot cooks. To avoid post shut off auger tube smolders and fires after a hot cook, (see my gripes elsewhere), I have developed a routine that works. But it takes a lot of time. First I have to wait for the temp to come back down to set temp i.e. 500 and stabilize. Then I turn down to 250 or so and then have to wait til it stabilizes at the lower temp. Then turn off. I have usually just gone ahead with dinner and check during, check again after supper before turn off. It works every time if I don't try to short cut the procedure, but sometimes it takes an hour til shut off. It means that usually I don't have time to clean pit until before the next cook. But the aggravation is mild and I love the 1070's performance otherwise. Low slow cooks are no problem: just shut off when done.
    P.S.: The new Dual 2.5/5.0 WiFi has always worked.
    John: What is your aggravation?

Not the same as the Memphis I had, but I found that leaving the lid open on it,  it would shutdown really fast.

• #18 by okie smokie on 09 Feb 2023
  • I have no doubts that the older Memphis (US made) pits were super good. Glad your experience has been good which confirms that. I decided that keeping the exterior of the 1070 new and shiny was not in the cards for me. I do keep it clean but can't get the darker staining out of the metal itself. Keeping the inside clean however is a must IMO to avoid eating the accumulation of grease, soot, that and other not so healthy byproducts. Primarily by keeping the grates scraped and wiped; with seasonal internal barrel scraping and cleanup. Not hard, just messy.
  • #19 by Canadian John on 09 Feb 2023

•  Okie, I must admit.  I can't taste the shine.

• #20 by okie smokie on 09 Feb 2023
  • It's a mental taste, not organic :rotf: :lick:
  • #21 by pmillen on 09 Feb 2023
  • I don't recall ever reading about someone becoming ill from eating food prepared on a pit with a dirty exterior.
Pages:
Actions