Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Green Tomatoes  (Read 535 times)

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
Green Tomatoes
« on: November 02, 2021, 02:50:07 PM »

I have a lot of green Roma tomatoes on the vines and I know they will not ripen.
Any ideas how I can use them?
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Green Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 03:00:49 PM »

You could substitute them in place of a tomatillo and make pico de gallo if you are into that.  With the right seasoning's, they would make a fine enchilada sauce...bout all I got.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

SmokinHandyman

• Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 03:40:22 PM »

I was thinking of something like that.
Might just pull them up fo the season, don't like to waste
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 07:03:28 PM »

Virginia Cooperative Ext Master Gardener group just published this on their facebook page.  I don't know if it will be of any help:

"Do you have green tomatoes left on the vine that don't seem to be ripening? The optimum temperature range for ripening mature green tomatoes is 68–77 F. The colder temperatures get, the slower the ripening process will be. And, when temperatures are outside the optimum range for extended periods, conditions may become so stressful that the ripening process virtually halts.
If you have green tomatoes that are still pretty firm and you don't expect the weather to warm back up, you can try picking them and ripening indoors using the newspaper method:
"Pick the tomatoes, wash them, and dry them. Wrap in newspapers, place in a box in a single layer and store in a cool place. Tomatoes should not be allowed to touch. Store the box in a cool dry place, such as an unheated basement or garage. Check the boxes regularly for signs of ripening, and remove those that are starting to change color so they can finish ripening on your counter top.
The flavor won’t be as good as those you picked that were already starting to change color, but they’re still WAY better than anything you can buy in the supermarket, and this method can yield tomatoes for several weeks."
Options for ripening tomatoes indoors: https://lee.ces.ncsu.edu/.../how-to-ripen-green.../.. "

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 10:46:51 PM »

Kristin, my wife is an Orange County Cooperative Extension Master Gardener. They are run out of the University of California at Irvine. They have a lot of really knowledgeable people.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 11:09:21 PM »

Kristin is also a Master Gardner!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

SmokinHandyman

• Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 12:25:52 PM »

Thanks for the info Kristen.
I now remember my aunt doing that and shipping my uncle tomatoes in Colorado.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 04:12:36 PM »

Kristin, my wife is an Orange County Cooperative Extension Master Gardener. They are run out of the University of California at Irvine. They have a lot of really knowledgeable people.

In Virginia, we are known as Virginia Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners and are supervised by Virginia Tech.  My local association is a 4 county group known as the Rapidan River Master Gardeners.

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 05:02:42 PM »

In Virginia, we are known as Virginia Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners and are supervised by Virginia Tech.  My local association is a 4 county group known as the Rapidan River Master Gardeners.

Do you have a specialty? I have seen your mention your vegetable garden. I know that there are folks that specialize in ornamental gardens and others on edibles. My wife's is most knowledgeable on the ornamental side. Our house has been on a couple of garden tours.

My sister, on the other hand, is excellent with fruits and vegetables and grows a large proportion of her food.

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 05:04:09 PM »

I have not seen fried green tomatoes mentioned. Frankly, I tried them once at a restaurant and didn't like them, and I am a real tomato fan.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/fried_green_tomatoes/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 08:10:08 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 07:27:07 PM »

My parents made a hot dog relish relish they called Chow Chow.  I thought that they made up the name but I found recipes on the Internet.  I recall liking it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 08:11:06 PM »

Do you have a specialty? I have seen your mention your vegetable garden. I know that there are folks that specialize in ornamental gardens and others on edibles. My wife's is most knowledgeable on the ornamental side. Our house has been on a couple of garden tours.

My sister, on the other hand, is excellent with fruits and vegetables and grows a large proportion of her food.

I do not have a particular specialty.  Our group (RRMG's) has many activities and projects which we run and volunteer for in our 4 counties -- school vegetable gardens and agricultural programs and education in elementary and junior high schools, "horticultural therapy" in senior housing/nursing facilities, a vegetable demonstration garden that donates about 2,000 lbs of fresh produce to food banks in the 4 counties, gardens with the Boys and Girl's Clubs, and native/pollinator gardens in each of our 4 counties.  I am the project coordinator for the pollinator garden here in Culpeper and also teach classes for those interested in planting things which will attract pollinators to their home gardens, so that would be as close to a "specialty" as I would have.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2021, 08:11:58 PM »

My parents made a hot dog relish relish they called Chow Chow.  I thought that they made up the name but I found recipes on the Internet.  I recall liking it.

Bent makes an excellent Chow Chow!

1MoreFord

• Using less gas.
  • Central Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 10:35:22 PM »

A catfish joint I used to eat always kept green tomato relish on the table.  Once I tried it I became a big fan.  You might find a recipe online and can a bunch of it.
Joe

Falcon Mk V gas grill, OK Joe Longhorn - gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef SG24, Weber 22" OTG
Pages: [1]   Go Up