Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Chris__M on 03 Nov 2021
  • You wouldn't think anyone would get excited over egg rings, but then again, you don't live in the United Kingdom! :D

I've been playing with cooking stuff on the cast iron griddle that came with my new grill; more recently, as it has been wet, I've been playing with the cooking methods on a smaller scale using a 13" electric griddle (actually a cheap crepe maker, but it does at a pinch).

Anyway, I already had a set of 3 egg rings, in different (small) sizes, and they were fine. But when I tried to get something omelette sized (6-8"), I had nothing but trouble. I'd order a set including a large ring, and when it arrived it wouldn't even sit evenly on a flat surface. So two orders have both gone back for refunds.

In the end, I had to order directly from the States. I knew what I wanted, but despite searching, no-one stocks them here. So I ended up paying for the item, postage and customs/duty.

But they are here now, and I am delighted. 3 square egg rings and 3 round egg rings and an 8" omelette ring. The smaller rings in silicone, the larger in steel.

I cooked an 8" omelette for lunch, and the ring performed perfectly. A tiny amount of seepage on one side, which immediately sealed itself. Unlike the rejected rings which had visible gaps on 2 sides.

By a little company called Blackstone, which is why I suspected they would be good.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 03 Nov 2021
  • The square ones would be nice if you want to make an egg sandwich.

I see "Silicone" on the packaging.  Are the rings solid silicone ?
  • #3 by Darwin on 03 Nov 2021
  • Chris thanks for this and helping me spend money. I always make square biscuits and I have never seen a square egg mold.  Next up on the list is square bags and breakfast sausage.   :clap:
  • #4 by Bentley on 03 Nov 2021
  • I got some round ones off of Amazon.

• #5 by BigDave83 on 03 Nov 2021

I have some of these also. They were much cheaper than the BS ones. I broke down and bought the BS rings. I better product and easier to clean to me.

If you want a good omelet ring, the silicone seal out of your instant pot, or I use the outside of a springform pan.
  • #6 by W6YJ on 03 Nov 2021
  • Chris,

Thanks, I just ordered a set. Blackstone should be paying you a commission...

• #7 by Chris__M on 04 Nov 2021
  • The square ones would be nice if you want to make an egg sandwich.

I see "Silicone" on the packaging.  Are the rings solid silicone ?

The small rings are silicone, but are very rigid and cold to touch. So I think they probably have a steel core, completely covered by silicone.

The large ring is stainless steel, with silicone handles.
  • #8 by Chris__M on 04 Nov 2021

I have some of these also. They were much cheaper than the BS ones. I broke down and bought the BS rings. I better product and easier to clean to me.

If you want a good omelet ring, the silicone seal out of your instant pot, or I use the outside of a springform pan.

I had been using a springform pan, and it worked well. But it was quite a high sided pan, which made it a bit awkward.

Love the idea of using a gasket seal, though!

My existing (small) rings are stainless steel and work well also, but  the new silicone ones are much easier to clean - they can even go in the dishwasher.
  • #9 by BigDave83 on 04 Nov 2021
  • My first go at egg rings,and I still have them somewhere, were 4.5" aluminized exhaust tubing that were cut about 1" high. oiled them up well and they leaked some out the bottom as it was hard to get the bottoms completely squared. But were the perfect size for English muffins.
  • #10 by Brushpopper on 04 Nov 2021
  • I am probably going to go to town and see if I can find some.  I love omelets but I stink at making them.  And it is only fitting to get some now since our chickens are English breeds.  We have two Lavender Orpingtons and two Speckled Sussex and we have plenty eggs from them.  The neighbors love them when we share.
  • #11 by urnmor on 04 Nov 2021
  • Every now and then I make omelettes however never used and egg ring so I am curious as to how they are hosed in making a traditional omelette thanks
  • #12 by pmillen on 04 Nov 2021
  • Brushpopper, I just noticed the quote in your signature line.

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."
                                                       Robert Earl Keen

Love it!
  • #13 by Brushpopper on 04 Nov 2021
  • Brushpopper, I just noticed the quote in your signature line.

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."
                                                       Robert Earl Keen

Love it!

Thanks!  The version from No. 2 Live Dinner album is one of my favorite songs and I try to live like that.  :cool:  The whole album is very good.  Especially the Christmas song, but you have to wait 60 seconds of dead air for the second one to play.
  • #14 by Chris__M on 04 Nov 2021
  • Every now and then I make omelettes however never used and egg ring so I am curious as to how they are hosed in making a traditional omelette thanks

In omelettes I have made in the past, traditionally, the edge of the omelette is constrained by the lip of the frying pan. Making them on a flat-top of some kind, though, and the egg sometimes can run and run, and not in a useful circular shape! Hence the ring, to keep it confined, more or less, until it has firmed up.
  • #15 by urnmor on 04 Nov 2021
  • In omelettes I have made in the past, traditionally, the edge of the omelette is constrained by the lip of the frying pan. Making them on a flat-top of some kind, though, and the egg sometimes can run and run, and not in a useful circular shape! Hence the ring, to keep it confined, more or less, until it has firmed up.
    [/quote]

Thank you
Pages:
Actions