Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tangy Tomatillo Sauce  (Read 1037 times)

Craig in Indy

• Using less gas.
Tangy Tomatillo Sauce
« on: October 01, 2017, 06:19:40 PM »

This isn't typically associated with smoked meats (it's common on chicken enchiladas), but I've found it pairs wonderfully with pulled pork, especially when mixed with eggs and cheese, and rolled in a flour tortilla.

1 pound tomatillos, husks removed
1 jalapeno, seeded
1 medium onion, medium chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
5 or 6 sprigs of cilantro, chopped
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1. Boil the tomatillos and jalapenos until tender, drain.
2. Put tomatillos, jalapenos, onion, garlic, cilantro in a blender or food processor and pulse until just no longer chunky.
3. Heat vegetable oil in a large pan or dutch oven and add sauce (watch out for spatters).
4. Cook sauce over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens and darkens slightly in color.
5. Add stock, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook until sauce thickens enough to coat a spoon. Add salt to taste, if needed.

Hope you all enjoy it. If you've never had tomatillos before, they're a cousin of the tomato, but smaller, and with considerable tanginess, kind of like a concentrated green tomato. They're often used as the basis for salsa verde.

GregW

Re: Tangy Tomatillo Sauce
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 06:31:09 PM »

I do a salsa very similar to your's.
I roast the tomatillos under a hot oven broiler until they a blackened somewhat and soft.
I do the onion and garlic in the broiler also.
I don't add the stock.
I use my recipe to add to Costco de-boned rotisserie chicken. I use this chicken to make tamales with green tomatillo salsa.

I need to try your recipe, it does sound good.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up