Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jdmessner on 08 Nov 2021
  • I went to the GMG website to look at the specs on one of their grills. I noticed the Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, and Jim Bowie grills have been replaced by the Trek, Peak, and Ledge.

Without digging too deep, the new models looked to me a lot like the previous ones. I did a quick search and could not find anything about when and why the name change. Did GMG do something drastically different to warrant a name change or was it a matter of distancing themselves and not being associated with the frontiersmen?  I apologize if this has previously been discussed elsewhere in the forum.
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 08 Nov 2021
  • Maybe a name change to attract younger customers ? ? ?
  • #3 by urnmor on 08 Nov 2021
  • Maybe a name change to attract younger customers ? ? ?

I agree and for the most part non controversial.
  • #4 by SmokinHandyman on 08 Nov 2021
  • The names have been change to protect the innocent.
  • #5 by Kristin Meredith on 08 Nov 2021
  • Maybe has something to do with the litigation they are involved in with Traeger?  Trying to distinguish old vs new?
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 08 Nov 2021
  • I thought I read a while back that their response was that they changed the names to something that would be more global, as the previous names really only had meaning to the USA. I thought they were also keeping one of the old names as a kind of tribute to their original beginnings.

Whether the name change reasons are actually accurate or not, I don't know. I had also read that the names were changed because of the whole cancel culture and the issues those folks seem to have.
  • #7 by Hank D Thoreau on 08 Nov 2021
  • Companies rebrand all the time...just look at...Facebook?

When I saw the new names I figured they were emphasizing the mountains that are part of the company image.

This could also expand advertising options. The current names don't help in that area. They are stuck with a frontier theme.

Also, eventually you will run out of frontier figures that folks in the US have heard of.

Some companies brand differently overseas, but that may be too large of a cost for a company the size of GMG.

I think moving toward a global branding makes more sense than other explanations.

This is just my speculation. The Traeger argument may also be a valid reason.

• #8 by ylr on 09 Nov 2021
  • I can see Trek and Peak, as they are trendy cute names for the masses, but Ledge? As in falling off a ledge? ::)

• #9 by Hank D Thoreau on 10 Nov 2021
  • As a climber ledge makes sense to me. It follows the mountain theme.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

• #10 by Brushpopper on 10 Nov 2021
  • I can see the Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie being popular here in Texas since they were at the Alamo.  At least for a redneck like myself.  They were all three quite the historical figures, but with the cancel culture thing going on I'm sure corporate decided to change the names to protect themselves.  I agree with 02ebz06 also as an attempt to attract younger customers.  I doubt the history about the three of them is taught in school these days.
  • #11 by Kristin Meredith on 10 Nov 2021
  • Well, I read in a recent poll of 18-39 year olds in the United States almost a quarter thought the Holocaust was a myth, had been exaggerated, or weren’t sure. For nearly two-thirds of respondents, the idea that six million Jews were killed in the Holocaust was a new one, while for one in eight the very word "Holocaust" was unknown.  These are events that happened only 75 years ago, so expecting them to know of people and events 100, 150, 200, etc years ago is probably right out.  I sure would like to know what the younger folks today study since I am constantly reminded that they have it so much harder academically that folks in my age group (64).
  • #12 by Brushpopper on 10 Nov 2021
  • My daughter will be here this weekend and I will ask her.  She graduated high school last summer, but she knows about the Alamo thanks to school field trips and we took her to the Holocaust Museum in San Antonio when they were talking about it in history class.  I don't know how much was covered in her class though.
  • #13 by BigDave83 on 10 Nov 2021
  • Well, I read in a recent poll of 18-39 year olds in the United States almost a quarter thought the Holocaust was a myth, had been exaggerated, or weren’t sure. For nearly two-thirds of respondents, the idea that six million Jews were killed in the Holocaust was a new one, while for one in eight the very word "Holocaust" was unknown.  These are events that happened only 75 years ago, so expecting them to know of people and events 100, 150, 200, etc years ago is probably right out.  I sure would like to know what the younger folks today study since I am constantly reminded that they have it so much harder academically that folks in my age group (64).

I can see that, the GF's nieces have no clue about anything except TikTok videos and things like that. Their Mother told them they were failing school and they didn't care. these are 14 to 15 year olds. The school doesn't seem to care either, as they just keep passing them to the next grade. No Child Left Behind. As for what they learn, I helped the oldest one with her math homework last year, I had to watch YT videos to understand what they were asking. I would tell her the answer was 15 and this is how I got there, she had to show her work, so I helped her write that out. She got and F because it was not done the way the teacher taught it, the correct answer apparently only mattered if the work shown was in line with the teaching. I tried for weeks to help her,, but she would take no initiative to even try, she would be looking off in space and just kind of bouncing around like she was sitting there dancing. She discovered I was not going to just give her the answers and I rarely heard from her for help. Her Mother wasn't much better to work with. She said she didn't know how to help, bu I think it interfered with her TV and sleeping.

I truly feel bad for them and for their future.
  • #14 by Kristin Meredith on 10 Nov 2021
  • "I truly feel bad for them and for their future."

I am more self-centered.  I feel bad for my future since they are they ones contributing to my future Social Security and running the country in a few years.  The Chinese must love it as it won't take much to compete against the US in 20 years.
  • #15 by 02ebz06 on 10 Nov 2021
  • A few years back, I was in the checkout line at the grocery store.
    The woman in front of me gave the cashier $108.xx for her bill.
    The girl missed the 0 and rang it up as $18.xx and didn't know what to do.
    I told her, just enter that she paid $90 more.
    She got flustered and called someone over.  He didn't know what to do either.
    I finally convinced him how to fix the problem and the manager came over to confirm.

Several years ago, family was in town and we were playing Kismet (clone of Yatzee).
    When game was over, I challenged my granddaughter (early teens 14-15) to to add the numbers up.
    She had to use her cell phone.

Some technology tends to makes people stupid.   ???

Pages:
Actions