Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Any chili seasoning suggestions?  (Read 640 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Any chili seasoning suggestions?
« on: November 09, 2021, 11:15:03 AM »

Thinking about making chili for a weekend gathering. We had bought some chili mix when we went to TX but I used it an don't remember the name, it was pretty good. Not sure there is much difference  in most of them.

So does anyone have a suggestion for a bought mix, or even a seasoning recipe?

Thinking of using 6 to 8 pound of meat beef and pork no doubt. While I can go either way, most like beans in it. I normally use Black Beans and Kidneys so there would be 6 cans total of them. Just as a guide for seasoning suggestions.

Thanks.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Any chili seasoning suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 11:20:39 AM »

Sam's and probably some grocery stores have McCormick or Tone's chili seasoning.

I actually like the Tabasco liquid chili starters but I have not seen them in stores.  I bought them online from Tabasco when they run holiday season specials.

When I make my own I use some chili or chipotle powder to taste and a little bit of cumin to taste.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 11:28:56 AM »

My chili is more like chili flavored soup and would be rejected by any Texan.  I use a frozen starter.  It used to be Armour but my store now stocks a different brand.

But I once bought a Caroll Shelby kit that was really good and more like what I imagine as chili contest flavor.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 11:36:28 AM »

Sam's and probably some grocery stores have McCormick or Tone's chili seasoning.

When I make my own I use some chili or chipotle powder to taste and a little bit of cumin to taste.

+1

Don't make my own vary often, but when I do it will have Chili powder and Chipotle powder.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 12:29:26 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 11:58:41 AM »

A while back I was preparing chili for a contest at our yacht club an found that most of the world chili champions use Gebhardt Chili powder. I've been using it ever since.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 12:42:03 PM »

My chili is more like chili flavored soup and would be rejected by any Texan. 

It would be by this one for sure.  I like it thick.  I always use either McCormick's or the H-E-B store brand.  I add cumin sometimes too, since we like the flavor.  I try to smoke the meat for an hour or so before I start the chili if I have time.  Sometimes I use a smoke tube in the charcoal grill with it on the Styrofoam tray and sometimes I use the pellet grill on a grill mat.  Depends on the weather.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 12:50:44 PM »

https://www.thespicehouse.com/products/oaxacan-ancho-coffee-salt-free-rub

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/arizona-dreaming-seasoning/c-24/p-295/pd-s

I use both of these products very heavily when I make Mexican, tex Mex, latin dishes. I've use both separately and together in chili and they add a unique taste that is very good to me at least.

SmokinHandyman

• Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 02:30:44 PM »

I like Chili Man seasoning but I think that it is regional to get.
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

glitchy

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 03:21:00 PM »

Durkee Chili Pronto! It’s the new branding of French’s Chili-O. Great as is for a fairly mild but flavorful chili, even better with just 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle powder.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2021, 03:53:30 PM »

Durkee Chili Pronto! It’s the new branding of French’s Chili-O. Great as is for a fairly mild but flavorful chili, even better with just 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle powder.

Yes, my Dad always uses the French's Chili-O.  That is the one that I was thinking of when I mentioned McCormick's or Tone's.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2021, 04:09:40 PM »

Hey, that Penzey's sounds like it'd work good, FMT.

I really like the D.L. Jardine's Texas Chili packet. "The Whole Kit'n Kaboodle."
In addition to it's chili spices, the container includes a seperate packet of crushed red peppers (well, who doesn't have that on hand?) and a packet of corn masa flour.

You can order it on line, I'm sure. I don't find it in many stores and when I do, I stock up.

Texas Red.

Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

SmokinHandyman

• Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 04:50:14 PM »

I use to use French's Chili-O seasoning when I first started making chili when I was about 11 years old
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 05:19:04 PM »

My chili is more like chili flavored soup and would be rejected by any Texan. 

It would be by this one for sure.  I like it thick.  I always use either McCormick's or the H-E-B store brand.  I add cumin sometimes too, since we like the flavor.  I try to smoke the meat for an hour or so before I start the chili if I have time.  Sometimes I use a smoke tube in the charcoal grill with it on the Styrofoam tray and sometimes I use the pellet grill on a grill mat.  Depends on the weather.

Curious, with all of the flavors happening in the chili, does any of the smoke flavor come through?

glitchy

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 05:21:19 PM »

Oakridge BBQ just released a new Chili seasoning as well in past couple weeks if you like their stuff. I almost ordered to try, but have 3 big bottles of Durkee in the pantry.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

glitchy

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2021, 05:44:02 PM »

I use to use French's Chili-O seasoning when I first started making chili when I was about 11 years old

It’s been around forever, but haven’t been able to beat it for our tastes. I’ve tried several other mixes and made several of my own when Chili-O disappeared from the market. I’ve never been able to find that right blend where everything compliments versus competes. It is mild on it’s own, but a can of hatch green chilies and some chipotle powder bring the heat up without destroying the underlying flavor blend. Like many things though, there’s as many variations in chili recipes as anything else to fit everyone’s tastes.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up