Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY Removable Magnetic Front Shelf - UPDATE - NOW REMOVABLE FOLDING SHELF  (Read 6020 times)

RemoGaggi

• Using less gas.

I've been wanting to front shelf for my older MAK 1-star, but after searching the net, it doesn't look like there's anything out there.  I see the newer 1-Star has a front shelf option, but even that is $175.  I was thinking about getting a Traeger folding shelf and trying to modify it to fit, but I didn't want to drill any holes in the MAK, so here's what I came up.  WARNING!  This is a MAGNETIC shelf, so it can and will come off if you put too much weight on it.  Total cost was just under $20.  Parts needed are 2 shelf brackets, 4 magnets from Harbor Freight, some 1/2" long nuts & bolts, and a piece of wood. 

I got these shelf brackets from Home Depot.  They were less than $5 each

I got these from Harbor Freight for $4.99.  The claim to hold 65lbs and come in a 2-pak.  You need 4 magnets, so get two packages.  A comparable magnet at home depot sells for over $6 for just a single magnet, so the HF magnets are more than half the price of HD.  But, you've got to do a little work with the HF magnets.  You need to use a 1/4 drill and drill out the rivet in the center to remove the hook.  It's super easy and after the hook is removed, it will look like this.

After you've removed the hooks from the 4 magnets attach them to the brackets with 1/2" long machine bolts and nuts. 

From there, I attached the brackets to my Mak, place my wood shelf on it, and screwed the shelf to the brackets.  I plan on either painting my wood shelf or staining it, but here it is right now with a 20lb Kettlebell on it.  I was able to add 2 additional 7lb dumbbells on it (not pictured) and it held.  But, your mileage will vary- we're dealing with magnets.  It's pretty sturdy holding 20lbs, but it could get dicey up around 30lbs. 

Here it is again without the weights.  It is a little off center on the MAK, but cause I designed it to also fit my re-purposed mini Traeger. 

Some years ago, I had a mini Traeger that peeled and Traeger replaced the barrel under warranty, so I bought a set of legs and turned it into a charcoal grill.  Here the Franken-Traeger with shelf.

It's an easy project and I figure it is strong enough to hold any food I put on it.  I'm thinking the heaviest thing I would put on it is a 16lb brisket on a foil pan.  That plus the brackets & wood is probably around 20lbs at most so I figure I've got some weight to go before it falls on the ground. 

I'm open to suggestions if anyone has suggestions on how to make this even stronger.  HD sells a 95lb rated magnet, but these are $7.86 each, so it drives the cost up significantly. 

UPDATE:

I found some stronger magnets that are smaller and some folding shelf brackets from Amazon so I did a complete redo.  The magnets are rated at 120lb and come in a 2-pak for $7.40.  The brackets are $9.71 each.  I can tell these magnets make the shelf a lot stronger. 

I stained the shelf with black (ebony) stain and the shelf is much stronger with the new magnets, plus it folds!

I returned the other brackets to home depot, but had to keep the HF magnets since I drilled them out.  Total project cost was about $28. 

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:15:17 PM by RemoGaggi »
Mak 1-Star, GMG Davy Crockett, Weber WSM & Various Kettles

Queball

Re: DIY Removable Magnetic Front Shelf
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 08:09:28 PM »

Very Clever! .... Nicely done. I'm sure you will enjoy the convenience of having that front shelf.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 08:17:32 PM »

I have put a 19.5lb. brisket on a shelf once, I don't believe I have ever exceeded that number.  I cant see ever putting 34lbs on a shelf.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 08:44:47 PM »

I have put a 19.5lb. brisket on a shelf once, I don't believe I have ever exceeded that number.  I cant see ever putting 34lbs on a shelf.

I remember seeing a photo of two guys sitting on the Memphis Elite side shelves that I think was at the Royal.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 09:03:20 PM »

That was Z and Memphis Tech I believe up there at the Hearthland Plant I think...Will have to ask him!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 09:09:16 PM »

Those Memphis shelves are solid.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 09:19:16 PM »

That was Z and Memphis Tech I believe up there at the Hearthland Plant I think...Will have to ask him!

Trooper & I at the 2015 Royal sitting on the shelves of my Pro.

Z

[ Invalid Attachment ]
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »

You have a great memory!  Wow, just 2 years ago...All the parting in my younger days is coming back to haunt me...

I remember seeing a photo of two guys sitting on the Memphis Elite side shelves that I think was at the Royal.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 04:48:35 PM »

You have a great memory!  Wow, just 2 years ago...All the parting in my younger days is coming back to haunt me...

Long term memory is still pretty good...short term memory not so good.  Sometimes I log into the computer to do something and by the time I am logged in I forget what is was I wanted to look up.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 04:59:07 PM »

I do wish it had a front shelf though. Anyone come up with a mod for that?

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 10:18:11 PM »

I would bet that Zep could come up with something. He is the king of mods.
Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 10:35:51 PM »

Z

Trooper - I like the T-shirt. My daughter is a Hope student and the after-hours donut runs are legendary! I've also been known to frequent the place a time or two.

I do have a regional question for you. It is off topic, but just curious if you know anything about the Pipeline BBQ in West Olive? Drove past there a while back. Looked interesting, is it worth a stop?

God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 10:47:55 PM »

Sharp and very creative! :)

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 06:27:17 AM »

X2 too bad the magnets won't work on the 304 stainless
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 08:18:48 PM »

Z

Trooper - I like the T-shirt. My daughter is a Hope student and the after-hours donut runs are legendary! I've also been known to frequent the place a time or two.

I do have a regional question for you. It is off topic, but just curious if you know anything about the Pipeline BBQ in West Olive? Drove past there a while back. Looked interesting, is it worth a stop?

I have not been to that location in a few years. I did stop there to scan through the menu right after they put up the BBQ sign. As I recall I was not impressed, but it has been quite awhile.
Perhaps, I should visit again soon and update you through a PM.

Getting back to comments about the front shelf. As you may know, I am BIG on my Memphis Advantage. The pellets are loaded in a front compartment and the lid for this pellet compartment makes for a WONDERFUL front shelf.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up