Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roast Duck  (Read 406 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Roast Duck
« on: November 13, 2021, 09:50:10 AM »

Last night Uncle Jackie's Imaginary Cafe and Grill served roast duck with roast potatoes and cream cauliflower.  I must admit cooking Duck is a labor of love as it took four days from start to finish.  If using a frozen duck be sure it has totally thawed out.  Clean the inside dry and then rub the inside.  I used a rub made with Asian 5 spice and BBQ sauce.  Let it sit uncovered in the refrigerator for a few days to dry out the skin (this helps to get crispy skin).  Make sure you have the time during the day to cook the duck as it can take three or four hours from start to finish.  I do diagonal cuts to allow the fat to drain and poke the skin all over to assist in draining the fat as the duck cooks.  Many recipes say cook at 350 however I found this to hot so after the first hour I went to 300 degrees.  Rub with salt, stuff with lemon and garlic, close the opening and tie the legs.  Cook for one hour with the breast up.  At the end of the first hour poke the skin again and turn breast side down and cook for forty minutes.  Then turn the duck breast side up and based it with balsamic vinegar and lemon  mixture and cook another 40 minutes basting it with the mixture every ten minutes.   Mix honey and about two table spoon of the balsamic mixture and use it to based the duck every ten minutes for the last 40 minutes.  Let it rest for about 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.  Serve with the poatoes, cauliflower and duck sauce if using.

bbqking01

• Using less gas.
Re: Roast Duck
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 09:53:45 AM »

That looks spectacular! Well done. I’d eat that. Where is this cafe, and if you put out a notice before hand we could be at this cafe next time this is on the menu. Indeed a labor of love here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 11:00:11 AM »

Looks terrific.  Duck is something I have never had.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 11:47:58 AM »

That is an outstanding presentation of duck! Do you save the duck fat?

urnmor

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 12:08:48 PM »

That is an outstanding presentation of duck! Do you save the duck fat?
Thank you I should but probably not this time

bbqking01

• Using less gas.
Roast Duck
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 01:27:10 PM »

I tried duck once it turned out ok just very bony and not much meat for all that work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 02:13:52 PM by bbqking01 »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 01:55:08 PM »

Have you ever poured boiling water over the skin before starting the cooking process?  It will help in making the skin crisp if you are into that!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

just4fn

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 03:32:16 PM »

Have you ever poured boiling water over the skin before starting the cooking process?  It will help in making the skin crisp if you are into that!

I've never heard of that before.  Does that also work with chicken?
GMG Daniel Boone, Blackstone 36 griddle, Primo XL Kamado with Flame Boss 300 and a FireBoard.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 03:36:11 PM »

I do not believe chicken has enough fat to make it work.

urnmor

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 05:56:08 PM »

It was an option however I chose not to and cook longer at a lower temp

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 06:20:37 PM »

I was not paying close enough attention to the detail of your cook.  It would not have worked because of the elaborateness of the detail with rubs and marinades anyway!

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 09:34:16 AM »

That looks great. I really like duck, used to make them all the time. I put mine on a rotisserie usually. I need to get another one and see if the GF will eat it once cooked. Maybe I can tell her it is a free range chicken or something.

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2021, 03:04:36 PM »

We have ducks for eggs and have been looking at doing a more mobile set up so we can do a few rounds of meat ducks a year. They will be kept separate from our egg ducks because any changes make them nervous and they stop laying. We really like the taste of duck, but it can be so expensive. American Pekin ducks are ready for slaughter at 7 weeks and we found an Amish gentleman that will dispatch them for $3 a duck. When you can find the Pekin ducks at TSC/ Rural King that have started to feather already and they have them on sale for 50 cents they are already at 3 weeks or so at that point so not many weeks to feed them to have fresh duck meat.
Mak 2 Star General #1799
Pages: [1]   Go Up