Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Requesting Ribeye Roast Recipes  (Read 1284 times)

jdmessner

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Evart, MI
Requesting Ribeye Roast Recipes
« on: October 01, 2017, 08:33:25 PM »

Any tips, suggestions, or recipes for a 15 lb boneless ribeye roast? They were on sale for $3.99 a pound. What else could I do? I bought two!
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Requesting Ribeye Roast Recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 09:07:55 PM »

So many ways to do it...Always interested to see folks methods!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 11:25:22 PM »

1.  Rub it with Olive oil so the seasoning sticks.
2.  Rub with a seasoning you like; McCormack Montreal Steak is good, so is Penzey's Northwoods.  Load it up, the roast is thick.  I doubt that you can use too much.
3.  Put it in the refrigerator for at least an hour, more is probably better.  I've never exceeded four hours but that's just because of scheduling.
4.  Smoke it at 250°F until the internal temperature is 120°F.  It'll take 2½ to 3 hours to get there.
5.  Wrap it in foil and let it sit for ½ hour (even an hour).  It'll continue to cook from the hot exterior to the interior and get up to 125°F or med-rare.  You can wrap it in foil and a towel and put it in a cooler (commonly called FTC) to hold it for a few hours.  So you can start it really early, FTC it and carve it when the guests and sides are ready.

I'll probably do one fairly soon and will probably post a S×S.

No matter how you do it please post your results along with photographs.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 02:21:07 PM »

I figured you would have 10 recipes by now.  Ok, here is mine.  I don't think most like it.  If you like the Rib Roast with about 1/8 inch of brown, and the rest that wonderful maroon through out, pmillen's will be the perfect way to do it.

Mine is a 3 stage process and produces a Rib Roast with crust and about 1/2 inch of brown before you get to the pink...

Rub it with what you want, I agree Montreal is wonderful, for a Rib Roast I even like to run it through a spice grinder so it is fine and sticks even better.  Start the meat cold.  500° for 20 minutes, very important step and temperature. (If your pit cannot achieve this temperature do in oven).  Turn down to 325° cook for 1 hour.  Internal meat Temp should be somewhere around 105°-110° at the end of the hour dead center of the meat.  Take out of pit, tent with foil, rest for 2 1/2 hours on counter.

Back in pit at 350° until your desired temp is achieved (allowing for about a 5° rise) with that final 15 minute rest. You will need an accurate internal meat thermometer for this.  And I cook with that said thermometer in the meat the whole time after the 20 minutes high heat cook.

I like this cooking method because it allows the temperatures to cook the meat fibers and to evenly distribute heat in the meat.  The last part is to just finish the meat to the correct internal temperature that you desire. 

But it will look like this...

Not this...

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:23:09 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

jdmessner

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »

Glad I decided to wait to do the ribeyes. Having some technical difficulties with the grill. Not sure when I'll be back in business, but I hope to be up and running again soon. Pmillen's recipie is along the lines od what what I had anticipated doing. I do like the way Bentley's turned out. Two roasts, maybe I'll try a comparative study. I'll post more when I actually get to grilling.
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley
Pages: [1]   Go Up