Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 20 Nov 2021
  • Based on some data from this site, I purchased A few bags of "Real Texas Chili" mix and am going to give it a try today. The package recipe is very simple but lacks some of the ingredients that I normally use in my chili, so, I'll use the mix as a starting point and do some additions. Such as garlic, celery, green bell pepper and what ever else that I have on hand. If anyone has tried this mix your advice would be appreciated.
  • #2 by Bentley on 20 Nov 2021
  • Both would be foreign to me in a Bowl of Red. What size would they be when the chili is finished?

...celery, green bell pepper...
  • #3 by hughver on 20 Nov 2021
  • Celery and pepper would be very small dice and garlic minced. Also, anyone know how hot this mix is? My better half has a limited tolerance for heat.
  • #4 by BigDave83 on 20 Nov 2021
  • If it is the one from my post, from Bearcreek Smokehouse? I did the recipe, added extra onions, and 1 can Kidney Chili beans and one can of Black beans. I cooked mine for a bit to get it to where I wanted it thickness wise.

Heat, I added more in as I ate it. The GF thought it was good she did think it was spicy. She is kind of odd, she doesn't eat hot stuff or hot sauce, but she will use some sriracha on a chicken sammie or on a chicken fajita.

It makes a lot of chili.
  • #5 by hughver on 21 Nov 2021
  • Chili turned out very good. I can tell because my wife liked it, no heat at all, I added red pepper flakes to mine. I used 1# ground pork and 2# ground beef. next time I will heat it up with cayenne and add second can of beans. We served it with chopped green onions, sliced avocado and sour cream. It had a good chili flavor.
Pages:
Actions