Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spatchcock Before Brining?  (Read 379 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Spatchcock Before Brining?
« on: November 22, 2021, 01:52:21 PM »

Would you spatchcock your turkey before you brine it or would you brine first and then spatchcock it?

Tell me why you'd do it your way.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Spatchcock Before Brining?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 02:24:25 PM »

I plan on spatchock before brining.
My only reason is to get the mess out of the way early as Thursday will be a busy day, and that would be one thing less to deal with.
Then Thursday morning, out of the brine, add some seasoning, and into the grill.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 02:55:03 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 02:51:31 PM »

I like to part out the bird and cook that way as I can pull things when they hit the right IT.  As far as brining the bird, will probably need to get started on that tomorrow evening if Kris wants it done.  Might add a lot of our garden sage to a simple sugar and salt brine.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 01:26:16 PM »

Going with the Alton Brown Brine with veggie stock, kosher salt, brown sugar, all spice berries, and whole black peppercorns. Already made it up and will stick the bird in it tomorrow afternoon. Turned out great last year.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 01:57:00 PM »

Going with the Alton Brown Brine with veggie stock, kosher salt, brown sugar, all spice berries, and whole black peppercorns. Already made it up and will stick the bird in it tomorrow afternoon. Turned out great last year.

Sounds similar to ours.  Will be making ours today as well.
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 01:58:27 PM »

I decided to spatchcock it before brining.  It probably doesn't make much difference except that it's a little less volume in the brining tub and it offers the opportunity to give the body cavity a thorough cleaning.  It's surprising how much I clean out.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 12:12:56 PM »

Hope all is perfect. Happy Thanksgiving to all.  We are being treated by our daughter to the whole dinner.  Produced by a local fine restaurant.  They will get it hot today and bring it to our house for warming and eating.  Feel a bit guilty about that, but have not been well recently, so can't complain. At least we will get together with part of the family.  Our son and family is in Branson in his Winnebago and doing spatchcocked turkey on his small pellet smoker. He separated the drumsticks, thighs and breast and all fits on the grill.  Don't think he brined it.  His MIL has a rented cabin next to them and is doing the dressing, taters, gravy etch on her cabin stove. Will be interesting to hear the report after. Go Cowboys!!

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 12:31:12 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Pages: [1]   Go Up