Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Does Your Community Do at Thanksgiving?  (Read 203 times)

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
What Does Your Community Do at Thanksgiving?
« on: November 22, 2021, 04:56:53 PM »

The Culpeper Food Closet provides a Thanksgiving meal for families in need. The box has a 15 lb turkey and all the foods for traditional side dishes, but not dessert.  They will prepare 450 boxes this year.  Several years ago, a local attorney started a "pie drive" to provide a pie for each box.  They just ask the community to donate and it is amazing how every year they seem to get enough pies.  We are making 4 pumpkin pies.  Two are done and will make the other two after dinner.

Numerous churches in the area (10 at last count) have also been giving out free turkey dinners this past weekend and some on Thanksgiving Day.  I don't think anyone in need should be hungry given all this generous outpouring from the community.  Does your community do anything at Thanksgiving?

[ Invalid Attachment ]

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Re: What Does Your Community Do at Thanksgiving?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 05:16:57 PM »

Not sure it they do anything around here, other than what the local Food Banks do.
I tried donating money last year, but they didn't want it, just canned goods.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 05:18:43 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 02:16:16 PM »

Around here a group of local churches that had various ministries got together with the city and an old elementary school to make a place they call the Hope Center. My daughter's American Heritage Girl troop donated around 120 families worth of dry goods to help with Thanksgiving for people in the area that are food insecure. I'm not sure how many others were donated, but just seeing the volume her troop donated was pretty impressive. I believe they team up and Kroger donated turkeys to go with all the dry goods. It is a really neat ministry. https://youtu.be/gXvb43q0nBI is a Youtube video that talks about it if anyone cares to watch.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 07:16:29 PM »

Around here a group of local churches that had various ministries got together with the city and an old elementary school to make a place they call the Hope Center. My daughter's American Heritage Girl troop donated around 120 families worth of dry goods to help with Thanksgiving for people in the area that are food insecure. I'm not sure how many others were donated, but just seeing the volume her troop donated was pretty impressive. I believe they team up and Kroger donated turkeys to go with all the dry goods. It is a really neat ministry. https://youtu.be/gXvb43q0nBI is a Youtube video that talks about it if anyone cares to watch.

That is an impressive outreach ministry. I am on the board for a food pantry and thrift store. We are in the process of establishing a strategic plan for the next 3-5 years. There are several on the board that would like to work toward establishing a broader focus in ministry, similar to what the Hope Center is doing. I will show this video to the board and hopefully be able to check this place out first hand at some point in the near future. Thank you for sharing.
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley
Pages: [1]   Go Up