Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Food Save Spritzer?  (Read 277 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Food Save Spritzer?
« on: November 23, 2021, 07:07:33 AM »

I have been using the cheap plastic sprayers for spritzing, but they all seem to get mold after a while no matter how good I clean them.  I then replace it with another one. 

Are there any reasonable priced spray bottles out there that will not mold?  It would also need to be able to spray a solution that has seasoning (pepper) in it.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 07:10:23 AM by reubenray »
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Food Save Spritzer?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 07:11:44 AM »

Ever tried one of the hand held garden sprayers?

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 09:14:57 AM »

I have a dollar store spray bottle, I have apple pie in it for when I want to spray ribs or pork steaks. I have not seen mold in it. It has been in the fridge fil for years, I just refill it. Could be the alcohol keeps it from molding.

My take on it would be to keep using the cheap sprayers if they work. I use Whirl type product when cooking on the griddle, it builds up in the squeeze bottles and I tried for 3 days one time to clean it out and, finally it hit me that this bottle cost me $1 why am I wasting my time trying to clean it.

Only other suggestion would be to put some vinegar in it to try to clean the mold out or keep it from starting.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 09:47:14 AM »

If you are getting mold, just rinse every once in awhile with bleach, or even a very diluted blend.  A cap full in a gallon of water would be sufficient to kill any bacteria!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 10:01:48 AM »

If you are getting mold, just rinse every once in awhile with bleach, or even a very diluted blend.  A cap full in a gallon of water would be sufficient to kill any bacteria!

+1
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 01:03:31 PM »

A few years ago I became concerned about chemicals from plastic leaching into the liquid I was spraying.  (Yeah, yeah, I know that I sometimes overreact.)

I called several restaurant supply houses and looked on line for food-safe spray bottles and couldn't find any.  Many of the people I spoke with treated me as though they thought that I needed psychiatric help.

I saw this in the grocery store and figured that it must me food-safe plastic.

I rinse it with chlorinated water after each use and it's worked perfectly for several years.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1]   Go Up