Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement time?  (Read 2569 times)

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
Retirement time?
« on: November 29, 2021, 10:30:30 PM »

I love working, my job and all that goes with it, but more and more I think it’s time to call it quits.  Do an of you retired folks have any regrets?  Part of my hesitation is not having a purpose and the rest would be I’m too lazy to find health insurance.  Next would be finding a new place to live is driving me nuts.
Advice or suggestions are welcome.  Thanks
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 10:32:50 PM by Darwin »

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
Re: Retirement time?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 07:29:33 AM »

When asked this question I always say "some people love to work" and "some people work to live".  I was in the category of "work to live".  My job was OK, but it was not something I loved to do.  I could not wait to retire were I did not have to work anymore (at least at a job).  When I first retired I had a motorhome and we travelled.  As I got older I did not have that much fun due to aches and pains to much.  We lived in a RV resort at that time.  I now live closer to family with property to take care of.  This keeps me busy.  I also use to play golf, but the same aches and pains stopped that.

If you are in the "love to work" category you may want to find a hobby similar to your work.  My favorite thing to do is sitting out on our deck with a cold one or more while smoking something on my smoker.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 07:39:39 AM by reubenray »
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 07:54:00 AM »

I would be interested in answers to this question and from those who retired before they turned 62.  I have started a mock retirement countdown as I am ready for something different and a significant reduction in stress.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 08:12:19 AM »

Great question

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 08:45:10 AM »

I would be interested in answers to this question and from those who retired before they turned 62.  I have started a mock retirement countdown as I am ready for something different and a significant reduction in stress.

I retired at 61 due to the stress of my job.  I got to the point that I would not make it 62 if I did not quit.  I did not know if I was going to have a heart attack or a stroke the day I turned in my 2 week notice.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 08:45:52 AM »

I retired at 56 (nearly 57) after 30 years as a bad faith defense litigator.  There were parts of my job that I enjoyed and I really like most of the folks I worked with.  But the whole climate of work changed over the years with clients becoming -- not more demanding because I had high standards -- but more unreasonable in their expectations and the jumping through hoops they thought they were entitled too because you were working big cases at fairly good hourly rates.  Also, our entire group switched firms and I never fit with the culture of the new firm and did not want, after that many years with my group, to leave for a new firm with unknowns.  If everything in 2013 could have stayed as it was in 1999, I probably could have worked for another 3 to 4 years.  But I was putting in 60 hour weeks and it was too much when I had plenty of money to retire and wasn't enjoying work life.  Each person needs to be able to make their own analysis of these issues, but 8 years in I have no regrets -- and may have extended my life from stress reduction!

Health insurance is a big issue.  I had budgeted $500 per month with modest increases.  After a couple of years, I blew through that and am now paying nearly $1000 per month for a very modest plan and high deductibles.  Because of some surgeries in past couple of years, I have been out of pocket $18,000 per year for 2 years in a row between premiums, co-pays and deductibles.  I am thankful I have the resources to pay this, but I provide this level of detail to emphasize that this was one area that I thought I was prepared for and was way off.  It is a budget item to take seriously.  I am very much looking forward to January, turning 65 and being able to go on a Medicare plan.  My medical expenses will drop significantly at that point.

I have not had any real issues finding things to occupy my time.  So many organizations need help and volunteers that you could fill your days just helping in your community.  I have taught English as a Second Language and the test for American citizenship to immigrants, worked in our local Volunteer Fire Dept Aux to raise funds for the VFD, become a Master Gardener and built and maintained a pollinator garden with my fellow MGs in a public park, taught classes through our Parks & Rec Dept, taken classes through our Parks & Rec, and raised service puppies. Just in our community, I know the Lions are always looking for members as is the food bank and the Master Gardeners and VFD. There are many opportunities available to volunteer your time depending on your interests. If you live near a local Community College, you can also always sign up for classes you would enjoy without the pressure of feeling you have to obtain a certain grade!

The where to retire is also a biggie.  We moved back here to Culpeper because of my Mom and to be near family.  But 8 years in that has all changed and we are getting tired of the weather in mid-summer and mid-winter.  Also, although Bent still does pretty well, gardening on 2 acres was easier at 57 than it is at nearly 65.  So, there is no rush, but we are looking at a potential move to a different location and downsizing both the size of house and size of yard.  Currently looking at Asheville, NC.  I think we will rent a VRBO in July next year down there to check out weather and community.
Hopefully some of this was helpful. Feel free to ask further questions.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:49:37 AM by Kristin Meredith »

urnmor

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 09:19:27 AM »

I love working, my job and all that goes with it, but more and more I think it’s time to call it quits.  Do an of you retired folks have any regrets?  Part of my hesitation is not having a purpose and the rest would be I’m too lazy to find health insurance.  Next would be finding a new place to live is driving me nuts.
Advice or suggestions are welcome.  Thanks

What I write pertains to me as everyone's scenario is different. 

I retired at 62 and have absolutely nor regrets and I knew I was ready to retire.  That said I do believe there are a number things one must take into consideration before making your retirement decisions.  First I had purchased most of my toys before I retired to include a small boat, grill etc.  That said I still buy me toys at 77 as IMO it keeps me young.

Now the one piece of advice my Dad gave me before I retired was and it appears to be a concern of yours "is there has to be a reason to get up in the morning". So yes fine a hobby or hobbies that you will like to do.  The first thing I do in the morning is make breakfast and lattes and serve my wife in bed.  I can't think of a better purpose.  That said I also have taken up cooking, baking along with other hobbies. I do love to camp.

Now two of the other most important factors in retiring are financial and your health.  Only you can answer those questions however I will give you my thoughts on both.  First retirement is not significantly cheaper then non retirement life especially if you want to travel etc.  I did take my SocSec early and have no regrets but do your numbers before making your decision.  I am also very fortunate to have both a retirement check from the military and a 401K along with SocSec.  Oh and by the way Soc Sec will not in anyway sustain you in retirement at least not to the life style you have grown a custom to.  also be advised that if you do have a 401k it will fluctuate monthly and quite frankly there is little you can do about it.  So do not stress out over it and if you have a good financial advisor he or she will take you through the rough parts.

As to health we old get older and with that comes aches and pains from arthritis to gout etc.  You may not be able to prevent them however you can slow them down by exercising and eating properly. 

Yes you must have IMO medical insurance other then medicaid.  Insurance plans will always increase. Now if you are a Veteran you can use the VA and I know a number of folks who do.  they say they get very good care.   

As to where to live Not sure why that is stressing you out but in any case do your research on areas you think you might in enjoy maybe even spend your vacations there to see how much you like a given area.

Bottom line IMO you will know when you are ready to walk away just do your research and know that there is a lot of life after retirement.

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 09:23:20 AM »

I retired in  at the age of 51.  Our house was paid for and my wife had taken a new position with a lot more pay.  I loved what I did but hated dealing with the Federal bureaucracy.  Plus the kids I was apprehending stayed young over the years while I got older.  Every apprehension was a fight.  It was getting to the point where I wondered everyday if I was going home that night.  Plus my wife was pretty much a single parent when I was working 12 hour days everyday.  Our daughter was 11 when I retired and I finally got to be a full time parent.  That was another reason.  I have no regrets and the guys I worked with are absolutely miserable.  Everyone is retiring the day they become eligible now.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 09:28:45 AM »

Good information so far.  I hope more post their stories and things to pay attention to as you look to retire.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Vmastros

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 09:44:58 AM »

It is very important to have enough money to retire and to have adequate medical coverage. However, I think you need to have something to do when you’re retired. I’ve watched all of the episodes of Law and order and I’m working my way through the first 48. There are days when I’m just bored out of my mind. So if you have some hobbies and can afford to pursue them you may be OK. I also found it helpful to have a part-time job. It’s not that I need the money but it just keeps me active.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 09:47:38 AM »

I RETIRED @ 55. EVER SINSE I HAVE BEEN BUSY ALMOST EVERY DAY. THAT WAS 22 YEARS AGO.

THE REASON I AM BUSY IS I LIKE TO MAINTAIN AND REPAIR THINGS: AUTOMOBILE, HOUSE, ALMOST ANYTHING. SOME WOULD SAY I AM CHEAP. I PREFER TO THINK I AM RATHER FUSSY AND WANT THINGS DONE MY WAY AND NOT ACCEPT AVERAGE TO POOR WORKMANSHIP. I AM ALSO KIND OF A NEAT FREEK.

I HAVE NOTICED SOME RETIREES THRIVE ON BORDOM - NOTHING TO DO. THAT WOULD BE THE DEATH OF ME.

I WOULD THINK IF YOU LIKE TO DO THINGS YOU'LL BE FINE. THE OTHER OPTION IS IF YOU ENJOY WORK, SLOW DOWN, BE SELECTIVE AND CHOOSE YOUR WORD DAYS AND HOURS. MAKE SURE YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO TAKE A DAY, WEEK OR MONTH OFF WHEN YOU WOULD LIKE. THEN PLAN ON SLOWLY REDUCING YOUR WORK SCHEDULE AS TIME GOES ON.

Brushpopper

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 09:59:41 AM »

It is very important to have enough money to retire and to have adequate medical coverage. However, I think you need to have something to do when you’re retired. I’ve watched all of the episodes of Law and order and I’m working my way through the first 48. There are days when I’m just bored out of my mind. So if you have some hobbies and can afford to pursue them you may be OK. I also found it helpful to have a part-time job. It’s not that I need the money but it just keeps me active.

I was able to keep our medical insurance and I work part time as an independent contract investigator.  It gets me out of the house and it helps with beer and toy money.  And property taxes :(

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 10:45:19 AM »

One thing about Medicare. READ READ READ before you get to that point !!!
I forget all the details, but if you don't enroll at the right time there are penalties.
Really ridiculous, but that is the way they do it, or at least it was when I retired.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Brushpopper

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 11:06:42 AM »

A former neighbor also said he had to pay penalties when he enrolled.  I think he was 64 or 65 when he enrolled.

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 11:30:31 AM »

I am 58. I never get sick.  I have no debt and my income will increase during retirement. So no concerns so far.  I have plenty of hobbies to keep me busy, just need to be closer to a nice trout stream/river so I can go fishing when the mood strikes me.  Having lots to do and stimulate the brain is not an issue.  I am even thinking about going back to school just to get a PHD. Cleaning out the closets, garage and other hiding places should take several months and make Goodwill happy  ;)
I really like my work situation but I hate the alarm clock, meetings and all the stress / frustrations that we all have in the workplace. 

I know I need health insurance but for now I see it as a waste of money - until I really need it.  Next door neighbor has/had cancer and I know her bills were huge!  Another friend was hospitalized with Covid and they said the bills were close to $500K, so yes I understand the need to have insurance. 

I will reread this again tonight when I have more time

Thanks everyone for your insights, it's greatly appreciated. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up