Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Whole boneless ribeye  (Read 1878 times)

hokiepop

• Using less gas.
  • West Point, VA
Whole boneless ribeye
« on: October 02, 2017, 06:36:38 AM »

I am a newbie in the world of smoking and I am looking for ideas on how to cook a whole boneless ribeye for a family gathering next week-end.   The ribeye weighs 19 pounds so any suggestions for cooking temperatures, seasonings or flavor of pellets would be greatly appreciated.   My pellet grill is a Kuma Platinum SE and it does have a temperature probe. 

hokiepop

• Using less gas.
  • West Point, VA
Re: Whole boneless ribeye
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 08:26:04 AM »

Wow!!!   So much information to help a beginner like myself.    I would never have thought of putting the probe down the top, great idea.   That is why I joined this forum, to learn from veteran pellet smokers like yourself.  Thanks for the great information.   I will let you know how this turns out.

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 09:05:23 AM »

I do several every yr.  They come out fantastic and are always a hit.

I keep my rub simple.  Coarse salt, cracked black pepper,  onion and garlic powder. 
I smoke at 200*-225*. Average time to get to a IT of 132 is approximately 6hrs.

Smoking at these lower temps results in a PR that is even color from end to end. I do not place in a broiler to sear, but I you choose to, pull at a lower temp then your target temp as it will climb quickly in the broiler. 

I tent loosely for 10 min or so before slicing.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

hokiepop

• Using less gas.
  • West Point, VA
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »

That looks perfect!   I am still trying to figure how long to plan for the cook-the roast is almost 19 lbs.

Queball

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »

That's a tough call. ... I think a big part of that is what the meat temperature will be when you start the cook. My cook above took 4 hours including the rest, and the meat went in with a starting IT of 50 degrees and a cooker temp of 225. .... Mowins cook took 6 hours, pulled at a lower IT but with the same cooker temp. .... Maybe more experienced minds can chime in here. I'd like to know myself.

mowin

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »

Your right, trying to figure out a time frame is tuff when going low n slow.  The one pictured was 16#.  Took 6 hrs. I've had 9# take longer... 

I've bumped the pit temp up to 320 for the last hr on more than one PR cook to speed things up. They still come out fantastic.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 10:27:42 AM »

Cooking time is a function of the pit's temperature and your desired internal temperature (IT).

Naturally, the hotter you cook it, the faster the IT will climb.  At any given pit temperature it will reach 120°F IT before it reaches 130°F.

My estimate for your roast at 225°F is 7 hours to an IT of 120°F.  I would say 6 hours if you cook it at 325°F.

Many cook books give a time projection based on the roast's weight.  I find that their 22 to 24 minutes per pound is too long.  And think about this—your roast weighs 19 lbs.  At 24 minutes per pound it calculates to 7 hours and 36 minutes.  If you roast half of it, 9½ lbs., then, by that same formula, it would cook in half the time.  I don't think so.

To solve this time/temperature dilemma I always start my large smoke-roasted beef very early.  If it's done early I wrap it in foil and a towel and put it in an insulated cooler (commonly called FTC).  It'll stay hot and the IT will rise as the heat conducts from the exterior inward.

So, my final advice—
     ●  Roast it at 225°F.
     ●  Start 9 hours before you want to serve it.
     ●  Pull it when the IT reaches 120°F.
     ●  FTC it until it's time to carve and serve it.

You'll get contrary advice 'cause we all have our favorite ways of doing things and our pits and tastes vary.  Whatever method you choose, please tell us what you did and how it turned out.  Photographs are helpful.

EDIT:  The carry-over heat will raise the IT almost 10°F when FTCing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:34:58 AM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Queball

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 10:59:22 AM »

At any given pit temperature it will reach 120°F IT before it reaches 130°F.

Paul,
What does that mean? ..... Before what reaches 130*F? .... I'm assuming the IT.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:23:41 AM by Queball »

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 11:02:45 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, cooking time is dependent on the thickness of the roast, as opposed to the total weight...   That is, a long thin roast would cook faster then a short thick roast of the same weight.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Queball

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 11:04:07 AM »

I agree LSJ, 100%. A beef tenderloin is gonna go off quicker than a similar in length sized piece of boneless prime rib because of its diameter.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:08:41 AM by Queball »

Maineac

• Central Maine
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 11:14:42 AM »

I agree with Paul on this.  One thing to take into consideration is that on rib-eye roasts a large difference in weight doesn't necessarily make a large difference in cook time.  The diameter doesn't change all that much from a 6lb to a 12lb, only the length changes a lot so cook times can be very similar between the two. 
Dean                   MAK 1-Star #184  - Weber Spirit E-310 - Weber Performer - 2 X Bradley OBS
- When you share a great recipe you make the world a better place -

hokiepop

• Using less gas.
  • West Point, VA
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 11:35:29 AM »

I will plan on the 9 hour window suggested.  I have kept ribs hot in a cooler before but did not did not think to do it with the rib-eye if it gets to 120 too early.   Thanks again to everybody for the great advice.   I will let you know how the cook turns out and hopefully be able to share some photos.   I am not very tech oriented but I will use my iPhone and try to upload as suggested on this forum.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 11:35:59 AM »

At any given pit temperature it will reach 120°F IT before it reaches 130°F.

Paul,
What does that mean? ..... Before what reaches 130*F? .... I'm assuming the IT.

Yeah, it will reach 120°F IT before it reaches 130°F IT.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 12:49:54 PM »

Hokiepop, this looks like a great way to smoke prime rib.  You may have trouble searing a 19-pounder, tho'.
Paul

scdaf

• Using less gas.
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »

Hokiepop, this   You may have trouble searing a 19-pounder, tho'.

That's what the 2 burner griddle is for. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up