Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 03 Dec 2021
  • Once the new Garden Shed goes up we will need some lighting in it,  Does any one have a set up like the Solar panels from Harbor Freight?  I realize I would need the panel, and assuming a Charge control device, some type of battery & an inverter? Does that sound about right.  I just want to run a couple of LED lights from Harbor Freight.  According to the specs on website, they pull 0.55 amp.

Anyone have a very simple set up like this?
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 04 Dec 2021
  • I have a Meanwell 1500W Inverter with two 12V AGM Batteries (overkill) for my Memphis.
    Lost power 6 times in one day when living in Texas, and of course I was trying to smoke something, so I said no more.

The Inverter has a plug to hook up to solar.  I have not done that.

If you do this, I'd recommend higher voltage batteries and inverter, 24V or 48V.

Thinking about this more, you could just take a small inverter (big enough for the the lights) and a marine battery and be done.
    It won't get that much use and LED's are low current use, so you could just charge the battery once or twice a year and skip solar.
  • #3 by Bentley on 04 Dec 2021
  • This is probably the place to start. I would need both of them if I go solar, so might as well see how long I could run the lights before the battery needs to be recharged.  I already have a 12v lawn mower battery I use to power my electric sprayer.  I guess I will get an inverter, bring the battery up to the house and see how long it will powere the LED light I am using for grow lights.

Thanks!

Thinking about this more, you could just take a small inverter (big enough for the the lights) and a marine battery and be done.
    It won't get that much use and LED's are low current use, so you could just charge the battery once or twice a year and skip solar.
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 04 Dec 2021
  • Thought of one more thing, you may want to get a bigger inverter than you need for lights.
    Never know what else you might want to plug in.  Radio maybe...
  • #5 by RWhyman on 06 Dec 2021
  • If you just want to power some lights, get the solar panel and controller, battery and some 12V led lights like you would use in a camper. Save the money of buying an inverter.

I have an old Harbor Freight panel with controller that you can have, but it would cost more to ship than it's worth.
  • #6 by Bentley on 06 Dec 2021
  • Thanks!  After seeing a few more videos I see I can wire it right onto the battery.  This is the stuff I have no idea about.  Pretty sure this is just lights, I am never in the shed enough to need music or air or power tools.  Kristin plans on using it for a gardening shed, so she will be in it quite a bit in the Spring and will need light for lengths of time.
  • #7 by 02ebz06 on 06 Dec 2021
  • Thanks!  After seeing a few more videos I see I can wire it right onto the battery.  This is the stuff I have no idea about.  Pretty sure this is just lights, I am never in the shed enough to need music or air or power tools.  Kristin plans on using it for a gardening shed, so she will be in it quite a bit in the Spring and will need light for lengths of time.

Oh yeah, 12V lights can connect directly to 12V battery. I was thinking 120V, then you would need the Inverter.
    All the lights in my garage are 4' LED and plug into an A/C outlet, but have a transformer in them to drop to the 12V power for the LED lights.
  • #8 by elenis on 08 Dec 2021
  • So are LED lights for grow lights for plants so you can get seedlings started early or just for lighting the interior of the shed when you guys need to see inside it? If it is the later, they sell kits for around $100 that have a small panel, battery, and light so you can have light in the shed. I have one of those set ups in my duck coop.
  • #9 by Bentley on 08 Dec 2021
  • This light will primarily be for interior light.  I think it will be to cold to do any germination in!
Pages:
Actions