Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by TreeTop on 07 May 2018
  • 2 lb ground beef of choice
    8 cups diced vegetables of choice: “Riced” broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, bell peppers, onions
    2 cups fresh English peas (Reserve 1 cup for topping)
    5 extra large Russet potatoes
    2 cups shredded cheese of choice
    Spices of choice
    Butter
    Milk

1. Sauté the riced or chopped vegetables however you prefer till softened, decreasing its volume and water content. Season as you prefer.
    2. Sauté the ground beef, draining off fat and seasoning as you prefer.
    3. Cook the potatoes as you prefer to make mashed potatoes. I cook them with skins on in a pressure cooker. When done, cut in half and place through a ricer.
    4. Season the potatoes as you prefer, adding 1 cup of shredded cheese, milk, and butter and then whipping.
    5. Assemble into two seasoned cast iron pans: Ground meat on bottom, a thick layer of vegetables, and then whipped potatoes. Top with 1 cup of shredded cheese split between both pans, and sprinkle reserved English peas. (I used one large - about 12”, and one medium - about 7” pans.)
    6. Heat pellet grill to 425. Place pans on grill, uncovered, and cook for 1 hour, checking to be sure the top doesn’t over brown.

My 4th time using a pellet grill and first time cooking a 1-pot. It was SO easy and fun!
  • #2 by Canadian John on 07 May 2018

•  Excellent first post TT!    We do a lot of cast iron cooking - it's hard to beat.  Your pies look great, just like the ones my mother used to make...  As far as your 4th time goes, you're doing very well.
  • #3 by pz on 07 May 2018
  • That looks really good
  • #4 by Kristin Meredith on 07 May 2018
  • Agree whole heartedly with the above comments!!  Thanks for sharing.
  • #5 by TreeTop on 07 May 2018
  • Thanks everyone for your encouragement! I look forward to learning lots here.
  • #6 by Darwin on 07 May 2018
  • Great looking pies.   :clap:  Baking in a pellet grill is something I want to explore.  I tend to not use the oven once summer arrives. 
     :beer:
  • #7 by Bentley on 08 May 2018
  • Peas on top!  Brilliant!
  • #8 by Son of Earle on 08 May 2018
  • I enjoy Shepherd's pie, and yours look great. 
Pages:
Actions