Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Stinky1 on 26 Dec 2021
  • Ok guys / gals ( and the rest of you ) . I’m in northern Ca looking to buy a new pellet smoker. I have ordered a new Memphis Elite ITC3 but it’s a no show . I’m not too price sensitive, I would be purchasing this as a more of a smoker than a grill as I have a good gas grill . I’m interested in the
    following

1.Memphis Elite ITC3
    2.Pits and Spitts Maverick 2000 with Side Smoke box
    3.Yoder 1500
    4.any thing else ?

I would need WiFi / Bluetooth, stainless would be a plus . I like large capacity, I do Salmon, beef jerky, and all the other traditional smoked meats . High quality and performance is a must
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 26 Dec 2021
  • If you are wanting large capacity, smoker not a grill. Then two that come to mind. Cookshack FEC100 or the Pitts and Spitts meat locker. If I were buying it would be the Cookshack, they have other models, not sure on Wifi, but a call to them would probably be worth the time.
  • #3 by Brushpopper on 26 Dec 2021
  • Welcome to PF.  I have a P&S Maverick 850 and it is spot on with temps plus you can adjust left to right temps with the heat shield.  That's a trial and error process but it's not hard.  It just takes  a few cooks to get right and then mark it so you put the heat shield in the same spot every time.  They are so heavy gauge steel they take a while to heat up, especially in the winter but I'm in South Texas and it's nothing compared to what the Midwest folks go through (Brrrrrrr).  The 2000 would take longer to heat up but once it does it would be a factory for jerky.  I don't have the Wi-Fi because I have no need for it but it seems to be an easy add-on.  The only problem I've had was a blown fuse when the igniter rod died a quick death but that was an easy fix with a new fuse.  I had to light it manually a few times until I got a new igniter but that was an easy fix also.  Good luck with your search, but why was the Memphis a no show?
  • #4 by glitchy on 26 Dec 2021
  • Looks like Memphis recently did some updates? The updates look interesting. Unfortunately, I haven’t heard much positive since they moved manufacturing to China.

Have you looked at the MAK 2 Star at all. If you buy a couple extra racks, there’s a lot of space for low profile foods like salmon and jerky and they also have a side smoke box available for tons of even more extra room specifically at lower temps.

I’ve never seen a Yoder, but they have a pretty solid rep outside of need regular paint maintenance to keep rust at bay. I was down to MAK vs Yoder for my last smoker. I have seen but not used a Pitts & Spitts and was very impressed with the build quality.
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 26 Dec 2021
  • I'm with Glitchy...

I have the Memphis Elite built-in made in China,  and not overly happy with it.
    The American made on I had at previous house was great , no problems.

This one has the WiFI and it is junk. Rarely works.
    On one occasion, It lost my track of my username and password so I couldn't even log into the app.

Also, they changed the ramp the pellets slide down.
    Now has a gap the pellets have to jump over to get into burn pot.
    Many pellets end up down in the ash tray.
    See my post here about an adapter I had made to correct the problem.  -->  https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=6894.0

Strictly for smoking, I would recommend one of the vertical smokers recommended above.

As big a Memphis supporter as I have been in the past, I cannot recommend this grill.
  • #6 by reubenray on 26 Dec 2021
  • I recently was in the market for a bigger smoker and I ended up with a SmokinBrothers PP36.  These are made in Missouri and they have a bigger model also.  It cooks different from my Traeger and GMG.  It does not have the temperature swings the other two has.
  • #7 by silverbullet on 26 Dec 2021
  • Look into the Camp Chef Wood Wind models. You can get them in different sizes. Has a High & low smoke mode that offers 10 different smoke settings.
  • #8 by Stinky1 on 26 Dec 2021
  • Thank you for the Memphis quality update , I’m out . So it’s at the MAK 2 with extra grates or the Lonestar 42 . Does anyone have feed back on the Mak 2 warming box ? If it could reach 185 that might be a great choice for jerky and salmon . Any feed back on the Lonestar Grillz ? Thanks again
  • #9 by glitchy on 26 Dec 2021
  • Thank you for the Memphis quality update , I’m out . So it’s at the MAK 2 with extra grates or the Lonestar 42 . Does anyone have feed back on the Mak 2 warming box ? If it could reach 185 that might be a great choice for jerky and salmon . Any feed back on the Lonestar Grillz ? Thanks again

The warming box usually runs 75-100 degrees below the cook chamber depending on weather. The Smoke setting varies some depending on the weather, but is usually around 180 in the main chamber and the lowest temp setting is 200, so you should be able to dial in the warming box pretty well. I’ve been able to smoke cheese in it when it’s colder outside (like below 60j, but I haven’t used the warming box a lot. Just a couple times.
  • #10 by NorCal Smoker on 27 Dec 2021
  • I would second looking at the MAK 2 Star. I have owned one since 2011. I upgraded to a new one in 2020. They have since added WiFi standard since I bought my second one, but not something I need. MAK’s are stout. The new ones have much more stainless than my first model. The heat is distributed much more evenly in the newer ones as a result of much better internals than my first one. I don’t have the side smoker box, but am very interested. They are expensive, but worth it in my opinion if price is not an issue.  Best of luck in your search.  There are a lot of good choices out there!  PM sent to you.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Dec 2021
  • I have used the side smoker box to make smoked cheese many of times, but it needs to be cold outside.  I've been able to get it close to 100° below the low set temp of 180°, but only when below 40° outside.  It has a log of room and so does the chamber if you buy the two extra racks.

I have also made jerky in the main chamber with the grill set at 180° on many occasions too.

I think it is more versatile than the Memphis Elite, but the Memphis is better temp control when the weather is cold or windy and rainy.  At least that is my experience with my USA built unit.

The Cookshack cabinet smokers are probably some of the best available for smoking large volumes of meat.  Looks like 130° is the lowest set temp so that would be great for jerky.  Not sure you could get it below 80°-90° to smoke cheese though.  If it runs on fan only mode, you may be able to put a smoke tube in it and be able to keep it cool enough to smoke cheese.
  • #12 by MP09 on 27 Dec 2021
  • I just ordered my 3rd Blazin Griil Works Grid Iron. i've never had any problems and my 2 son-in-laws are happy with the first two. Thy continue to upgrade their products so i'm lookin forward to the new changes.
  • #13 by 02ebz06 on 27 Dec 2021
  • I just ordered my 3rd Blazin Griil Works Grid Iron. i've never had any problems and my 2 son-in-laws are happy with the first two. Thy continue to upgrade their products so i'm lookin forward to the new changes.

I had a GridIron and had lots of Auger fires.
    They eventually changed to shutdown code (after recommendations I gave Tim), but I had already sold mine because of the fires.
    My sons both have them and they both have had problems with the Hot Rod going bad. One had a controller go bad.
    I bought them for them over 8 years ago, so not bad considering the length of time they have had them.
  • #14 by glitchy on 28 Dec 2021
  • The Cookshack cabinet smokers are probably some of the best available for smoking large volumes of meat.  Looks like 130° is the lowest set temp so that would be great for jerky.  Not sure you could get it below 80°-90° to smoke cheese though.  If it runs on fan only mode, you may be able to put a smoke tube in it and be able to keep it cool enough to smoke cheese.

Lew is probably onto something here. I never think about the FEC100 when people ask about pellet smokers as many people want some form of grilling too and it’s a bit pricey. I don’t have any hands on with one, but I believe they are popular on the competition circuit. If you want a dedicated smoker with lots of space, definitely worth a look.
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Dec 2021
  • The Cookshack cabinet smokers are probably some of the best available for smoking large volumes of meat.  Looks like 130° is the lowest set temp so that would be great for jerky.  Not sure you could get it below 80°-90° to smoke cheese though.  If it runs on fan only mode, you may be able to put a smoke tube in it and be able to keep it cool enough to smoke cheese.

Lew is probably onto something here. I never think about the FEC100 when people ask about pellet smokers as many people want some form of grilling too and it’s a bit pricey. I don’t have any hands on with one, but I believe they are popular on the competition circuit. If you want a dedicated smoker with lots of space, definitely worth a look.

I ate at a restaurant in the Northern Chicagoland area about 10 years ago that had two large commercial Cookshack pellet smokers.  The BBQ was pretty good.
Pages:
Actions