Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Which Pit Should I Choose?

What pellet smoker to buy

(1/4) > >>

Stinky1:
Ok guys / gals ( and the rest of you ) . I’m in northern Ca looking to buy a new pellet smoker. I have ordered a new Memphis Elite ITC3 but it’s a no show . I’m not too price sensitive, I would be purchasing this as a more of a smoker than a grill as I have a good gas grill . I’m interested in the
following

1.Memphis Elite ITC3
2.Pits and Spitts Maverick 2000 with Side Smoke box
3.Yoder 1500
4.any thing else ?

I would need WiFi / Bluetooth, stainless would be a plus . I like large capacity, I do Salmon, beef jerky, and all the other traditional smoked meats . High quality and performance is a must

BigDave83:
If you are wanting large capacity, smoker not a grill. Then two that come to mind. Cookshack FEC100 or the Pitts and Spitts meat locker. If I were buying it would be the Cookshack, they have other models, not sure on Wifi, but a call to them would probably be worth the time.

Brushpopper:
Welcome to PF.  I have a P&S Maverick 850 and it is spot on with temps plus you can adjust left to right temps with the heat shield.  That's a trial and error process but it's not hard.  It just takes  a few cooks to get right and then mark it so you put the heat shield in the same spot every time.  They are so heavy gauge steel they take a while to heat up, especially in the winter but I'm in South Texas and it's nothing compared to what the Midwest folks go through (Brrrrrrr).  The 2000 would take longer to heat up but once it does it would be a factory for jerky.  I don't have the Wi-Fi because I have no need for it but it seems to be an easy add-on.  The only problem I've had was a blown fuse when the igniter rod died a quick death but that was an easy fix with a new fuse.  I had to light it manually a few times until I got a new igniter but that was an easy fix also.  Good luck with your search, but why was the Memphis a no show?

glitchy:
Looks like Memphis recently did some updates? The updates look interesting. Unfortunately, I haven’t heard much positive since they moved manufacturing to China.

Have you looked at the MAK 2 Star at all. If you buy a couple extra racks, there’s a lot of space for low profile foods like salmon and jerky and they also have a side smoke box available for tons of even more extra room specifically at lower temps.

I’ve never seen a Yoder, but they have a pretty solid rep outside of need regular paint maintenance to keep rust at bay. I was down to MAK vs Yoder for my last smoker. I have seen but not used a Pitts & Spitts and was very impressed with the build quality.

02ebz06:
I'm with Glitchy...

I have the Memphis Elite built-in made in China,  and not overly happy with it.
The American made on I had at previous house was great , no problems.

This one has the WiFI and it is junk. Rarely works.
On one occasion, It lost my track of my username and password so I couldn't even log into the app.

Also, they changed the ramp the pellets slide down.
Now has a gap the pellets have to jump over to get into burn pot.
Many pellets end up down in the ash tray.
See my post here about an adapter I had made to correct the problem.  -->  https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=6894.0

Strictly for smoking, I would recommend one of the vertical smokers recommended above.

As big a Memphis supporter as I have been in the past, I cannot recommend this grill.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View