Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Canadian John on 28 Dec 2021

•  There are way too many variables to consider in a pit purchase.  It's such a personal thing.  The easy parts are, pricing, size, features etc.  Usually not considered are, how easy is it to take care of, factory

service and parts, rust, mobility, shelves.......
  • #17 by 1MoreFord on 29 Dec 2021
  • For my price range I chose a Camp Chef 24SG.  I like the quality and features for the price.  The only complaint is the universal one of light smoke flavor.  I've got an Amazen pellet tube to try for the next cook to overcome the problem.
  • #18 by 02ebz06 on 29 Dec 2021
  • Congrats!!!

Show some pics of your first cook.
  • #19 by okie smokie on 29 Dec 2021
  • I would want a 304 stainless smoker/grill combo. I would also like one with good wifi pid control. I would want a hx of reliability. I would like reasonable weight and proper wheels to move around easily. I would want large enough hopper to do long cooks, a ceramic starter, stainless grill grates, and either a pellet drop or an auger system with a reliable shut down program that almost always prevents any auger tube burn back. (and with an easy way to terminate a auger fire). And most of all--a long  warranty, and a super service hx. And while price may not seem an object for many, the lower prices of the Recteq did not run me off.  I will admit that it is not made in US, that it has a lighter gauge of Stainless than the more expensive brands, and perhaps there are some lesser tolerances in construction, and that the company tends to publish only the 4 and 5 star reviews. But, they have carved out a large clientele with great prices, great (maybe best) after sale service in the industry.  I have the 590 and there are now 3 in the family.  All have performed pretty  much flawlessly.  And while there is no open fire grilling option, we all get good grilling on "high" with added GrillGrates.  And of course no pellet drop but as I said above, there is a great shut down algorithm to help prevent auger fire and also a way to resolve a tube fire if you can act promptly. (ask by PM if you wish) we 3 have never had a blazing fire in the tube or hopper.  To me the most impressive point is their service. They answer promptly, and provide advice that works. And they are willing to replace parts without hassle when obvious need arrises. The only other unit that interests me is the Coyote. Made in US? but only has 12 lb hopper.   
Pages:
Actions