Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TURDUCKEN  (Read 371 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
TURDUCKEN
« on: December 29, 2021, 10:08:19 AM »

As in: Turkey/duck/hen.   I have never tasted it and curious as to whether the effort involved in concocting it would be worth the effort...  To me, it seems like something Bent would do or has done.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Re: TURDUCKEN
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 11:20:16 AM »

As in: Turkey/duck/hen.   I have never tasted it and curious as to whether the effort involved in concocting it would be worth the effort...  To me, it seems like something Bent would do or has done.
I have had Turducken and it was good. But I would be just as happy with a properly done turkey with separate dressing. To me the gravy and dressing are the most important part. (as long as I did not have to dissect the turkey). There is a family restaurant in Tulsa that has traditional turkey, dressing, gravy and mashed potatoes every Thursday as the featured dish. So good we decided to order it to take out for our TG day family dinner. Alas, they d/c the take out service this year. We ordered from another place and had a big disappointment.  Will go back to making our own next year. Or letting our kids do the honors. PS--Costco has the best pumpkin pie around IMO.  Oh well--Go Sooners! Beat the Ducks! ;D

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 11:24:09 AM »

I have had Turducken and it was good. But I would be just as happy with a properly done turkey with separate dressing. To me the gravy and dressing are the most important part. (as long as I did not have to dissect the turkey). There is a family restaurant in Tulsa that has traditional turkey, dressing, gravy and mashed potatoes every Thursday as the featured dish. So good we decided to order it to take out for our TG day family dinner. Alas, they d/c the take out service this year. We ordered from another place and had a big disappointment.  Will go back to making our own next year. Or letting our kids do the honors. PS--Costco has the best pumpkin pie around IMO.  Oh well--Go Sooners! Beat the Ducks! ;D

I agree on the stuffing and gravy!  And Costo having great Pumpkin Pies, and they are huge.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 11:29:58 AM »

RIP John Madden the man that made the Turducken popular in the USA.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 12:40:16 PM »

RIP John Madden the man that made the Turducken popular in the USA.

They discuss and show the Turducken in the documentary. With 6 legs of course.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 06:29:04 PM »

Tried it once, but am not a fan!  I am not a duck fan!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 07:28:22 PM »

Liver on wings.  At least that is what the ones we hunted tasted like.  Maybe the migration over the sewer ponds they were seen floating in was the problem. :rotf:

I have had some from a restaurant that were good though....but I have never had any I hunted taste any good.  That is why I quit hunting them I guess.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 12:10:58 PM »

Liver on wings.  At least that is what the ones we hunted tasted like.  Maybe the migration over the sewer ponds they were seen floating in was the problem. :rotf:

I have had some from a restaurant that were good though....but I have never had any I hunted taste any good.  That is why I quit hunting them I guess.
Great recipe for wild duck:  Clean well, salt and pepper, them make a dressing recipe with your favorite dressing stuff.  Stuff the duck fully with dressing, and bake in oven at 350 for 2 hrs.  When very brown crispy skin is visible and the duck breast is at 165, remove from oven, let cool for 15 minutes.  Then remove the stuffing, throw away the duck and eat the stuffing with your favorite gravy and other fixings. Make sure  it is your favorite dressing!  (pepper, sausage, gravy for me). :rotf:

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 01:19:22 PM »

Great recipe for wild duck:  Clean well, salt and pepper, them make a dressing recipe with your favorite dressing stuff.  Stuff the duck fully with dressing, and bake in oven at 350 for 2 hrs.  When very brown crispy skin is visible and the duck breast is at 165, remove from oven, let cool for 15 minutes.  Then remove the stuffing, throw away the duck and eat the stuffing with your favorite gravy and other fixings. Make sure  it is your favorite dressing!  (pepper, sausage, gravy for me). :rotf:
. Cute! That would put you in the same camp as Bentley.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 02:11:05 PM »

I had a college fried, Freddy, whose father owned all of the land surrounding a large slew right in the middle of the North Dakota central flyway.  He left a bordering field of millet (bird seed) unpicked to hold the ducks and geese for a large part of the winter.  They would raft up at night and keep the water open.  In the morning, when they rose, the first wave would beat the second wave back down to the water.  We sometimes couldn't see them but we could hear the commotion.

We shot as many as we wanted but were not allowed to waste a single bird.  It got so that we would just shoot the green heads out of a flock.  We would clean every one and Freddy's mother would cook some for us and can the remainder.  She knew how to roast wild Mallards.  They were delicious.  Freddy and I would stop at a grocery store and load up on things that made up the duck dinners.  We were happy and Freddy's parents were happy.  Alas, the passing years have ended that for us.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

NorCal Smoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 05:59:30 PM »

I love duck, but never had something wild.  It may change my mind!  Recently took a cooking class and the duck breast was the best item by far. Would like to try Turducken, but looks like entirely too much work.  There are some places that sell them online ready to cook. Maybe someday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up