Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by GREG-B on 06 Jan 2022
  • https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014EDF6MA/?coliid=I38NCZLW5ABZXQ&colid=25TUXMPSYZS6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Wish I'd known about these little things on my last house.  As soon as our new house is done, this will be part of the upgrade done by me first thing to go along with my 7500w gas generator.  I can turn on what breakers I need and turn off what breakers I don't need.  Lots cheaper than a whole house automated generator wired in by technicians.  Just have to know what brand/model# breaker panel you have and lots of YouTube videos on how to install them.  Plus instructions included.  If you're not comfortable with electricity, might not be your cup of tea but, a qualified electrician could do it.
  • #47 by Hank D Thoreau on 07 Jan 2022
  • Coincidentally, my power got cut last night for 11 hours. The power company website said it was maintenance, but we didn't receive a prior warning.

I was working on a database when everything suddenly turned off. I have a monitor on my computer that looks to be dead.

It is possible that this was maintenance for damage resulting from the result heavy storm.
  • #48 by 02ebz06 on 07 Jan 2022
  • Coincidentally, my power got cut last night for 11 hours. The power company website said it was maintenance, but we didn't receive a prior warning.

I was working on a database when everything suddenly turned off. I have a monitor on my computer that looks to be dead.

It is possible that this was maintenance for damage resulting from the result heavy storm.

I have UPS systems for all my computers, my main TV/Satellite receiver.
    Wouldn't help for 11 hours, but gives me the ability to do normal shutdown to avoid damage to anything.
  • #49 by Hank D Thoreau on 07 Jan 2022
  • I used to have a UPS that would trigger a shutdown automatically using the RS-232 connection.  UPS are only designed to cover shutdown time or switch over to a generator.

I have not had one in a while. Fortunately, I am now running mostly laptops which you can shutdown gracefully since they run on battery.

• #50 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Jan 2022
  • More snow hitting Mayberry this Friday?
  • #51 by Kristin Meredith on 27 Jan 2022
  • Yes, but it says only about an inch.  What I am watching more carefully is Saturday with 22 mph winds.  Ground is still wet and that is wind trees and limbs come down and power goes out.  But will have to see.
  • #52 by urnmor on 27 Jan 2022
  • Unfortunately the Eastern shore of Md and Va is scheduled to get the brunt of the storm maybe 5 to 8 inches so this has thrown a monkey wrench into our travel plans to Florida as I do not like to tow in snow
  • #53 by urnmor on 28 Jan 2022
  • Based on the latest weather forecast  we can now change the title of this thread to the Great Blizzard of 2022.  We are scheduled to get on the DELMAR Peninsula up to a foot with drifts of 2 or more feet.  It has put a crimp in our travel plans as we were laving Saturday to travel to Florida Looks Monday at the earalist.
  • #54 by Kristin Meredith on 28 Jan 2022
  • Based on the latest weather forecast  we can now change the title of this thread to the Great Blizzard of 2022.  We are scheduled to get on the DELMAR Peninsula up to a foot with drifts of 2 or more feet.  It has put a crimp in our travel plans as we were laving Saturday to travel to Florida Looks Monday at the earalist.

Good luck to you all. I don't know if you face loss of power or not, hope not.
  • #55 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Jan 2022
  • Looks like 1-3" here, sub zero wind chills, and maybe up to 50 MPH wind gusts tonight thru Sunday morning.
  • #56 by 02ebz06 on 28 Jan 2022
  • We've got a good 7-day forecast - high 40's, 52 tomorrow, skies clear.
  • #57 by reubenray on 28 Jan 2022
  • Some forecasts are calling for 3 to 5 inches here in NW Arkansas.  My brother lives in Boston and his forecast is 18 to 24 inches.
  • #58 by Bentley on 28 Jan 2022
  • What scares me is they have been off on weather predictions here.  We are supposed to get 2 inches.  I could see that turning into 8 real quick!
  • #59 by urnmor on 28 Jan 2022
  • Claire expects it to be so bad here she has had me move her car into the garage,  Her car has never seen the inside of our garage.
  • #60 by BigDave83 on 28 Jan 2022
  • I love my garage. Walk out get in the car hit the button back out hit the button again.

Looking at the predictions it may miss the mountains of SW PA for the most part. But that just means I could still get up and see 8 to 10 inches of snow in the morning. Who knows. No power loss through the last one, just a few flickers.

Good luck to all on the east coast it looks to be just riding up along the shore line.
Pages:
Actions