Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: More heat  (Read 3601 times)

Greasy

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
More heat
« on: October 02, 2017, 05:53:05 PM »

Hi I have a Pro 22 and would like to get more heat out of it if it is at all possible. The maximum temp is around 400 degrees give or take a degree or two. I put grill grates on it and the surface temp for them is 500 degrees. Is that all I'm going to get or is there anything more I can do?

AnyExcuse2Q

• Using less gas.
Re: More heat
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 07:00:15 PM »

That's about it.  I get ~430 in my Pro 34 if I use really fresh (dry) pellets.  Takes a while to get there though.  Had problems getting up to there at first when it was new, traced it down to an air leak at the square rim of the fire pot.  Could see a clear track in the ashes when I opened it up to clean.  Long story, but final fix was to use a crescent wrench to gently bend the edge of the square tube around the auger up slightly to meet the fire pot flange where it was leaking.

430* has been enough for me though. What makes you want more, given you've got the grill grates?
Traeger Pro 34

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 07:06:52 PM »

My Jr will hit 420ish given time. It's actually quite good considering it's size and other factors.

Once you open the lid, all bets are off. Not even grill grates can overcome the physics at play.  It's good enough for me.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 07:19:06 PM »

Not familiar with the Pro 22, but I removed the restrictor rod on my Lil Tex which did a great deal to increase my maximum temps.   
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 11:40:16 PM »

Does it have a restrictor rod at the beginning of the auger?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:42:38 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Greasy

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 12:29:21 AM »

I have a restrictor. Is it easy to remove?

Osborn Cox

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 07:33:41 AM »

I have a restrictor. Is it easy to remove?

I doubt you could do it without pulling the auger tube out which takes a little disassembly, but not difficult.   After that it was real easy to cut it off with my Drexel tool, but a hacksaw would work as well.   
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 02:13:32 PM »

Your Pro is rated 20,000BTU. The big brother;Pro 34 is rated 36,000BTU..The differences in the burn mechanisms are: 1/ No auger restrictor in the 22 and has a7 hole burn pot.  2/ The 34 has a 9 hole pot...

If you remove the auger restrictor there will be more pellets delivered per revolution of the auger..That relates to more heat..The down side is low temperature cooking.The temperatures will be hotter and and  temp' swings will be more pronounced.  Just wanted you to know.

To remove the restrictor the hopper assembly must be removed to access auger removal..Traeger has some excellent videos on this and many more "repairs".  The restrictor is welded to the auger.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 04:18:36 PM »

Great points...Eyes Wide Open!

Greasy

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 05:25:38 PM »

I'm going to have to get a spare auger if I cut into it and not like the results. It's low temperature control is great.
I received advice back from traeger and they recommended that I lube the induction fan shaft with WD 40 and see what happens.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 11:11:31 AM »

Two things.
1/ 400º is about as good as you are going to get, stock form on a not too cold day w/ dry pellets.

2/  Do not use WD 40! It is more of a penetrant with little lubricating qualities. It WON'T LAST.  To check the fan grab a mirror holding it under the hopper to view the fan then turn the pit on.The fan should start instantly and be @ max speed. If not your best bet is to remove and dismantle it .Use a synthetic motor oil such as 5w/20. 10w/30, on the bushings and make sure to soak the felt oil retaining pads surrounding them. Done properly this will last for years...New motors;fan and auger are marginally lubed so changing out a motor for a new one isn't the beat way to go if the problem is just lubrication..I don't believe you have a fan problem in that you have reached 400º.. If lubrication is the problem the fan may not turn at all or be slow turning when cold and slowly speed up as the friction generated by lac of lube wamrs things up.

Hope this helps.

dk117

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 04:08:52 PM »

I'm as big of a pelletfan as anyone, but when I want high heat I go to my gasser.  Typically in a reverse sear method.

Burgers, finishing steak or tri tip or sometimes brats.

For everything else, and for me that's 95% of my cooking, it's low and slow on the Traeger.  I've never had much luck or desire running my pit that hot. 

I might just have to quote Bentley himself on know your pit and add my own twist, use the correct tool for the job.   

400 degrees is a solid showing for a stock Traeger.

DK

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 05:12:20 PM »

Yeah, if ya don't have a pellet unit that can reach 500° or 650° in my case I could see why you would have to use a gas unit!

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 07:14:35 PM »

This is what makes no sense to me. From a physical point of view, the restrictor rod isn't displacing that many pellets. The rod appears to be just a tad bit smaller than the pellet diameter, so the displacement should be minimal for all intents and purposes.

:2cents:

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Osborn Cox

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 07:49:55 PM »

This is what makes no sense to me. From a physical point of view, the restrictor rod isn't displacing that many pellets. The rod appears to be just a tad bit smaller than the pellet diameter, so the displacement should be minimal for all intents and purposes.

:2cents:

My thought on it is that because of the length of some of the pellets, the rod creates a support for longer pellets to create a bridge preventing the auger to fully fill with pellets.   Could be totally wrong though.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up