Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Stranger on 30 Dec 2021
  • Has anyone used their pellet smokers?
     Trying to narrow down between Yoder's, blazons, and fast eddies Is trying to narrow down between Yoder's, blazins, Fast Eddie's, but now I've found Lone Star.
    I love their features but didn't know of any performance tests
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 30 Dec 2021
  • First off, welcome to the forum.

I had never heard about Lone Star Grillz.
    Just looked at their web-site.
    I really like that grill.  One big reason is USA made.
    Not sure now, but Blaz'n, Yoder and Fast Eddie were all USA made as well.
    Also not sure of their features as I haven't looked in a while.
    The Lone Star does have a lot of nice features, many I have never seen before.
    Only concern might be with them being a new company.

However if I was buying again, I would definitely give them a shot.

As for pellet performance, they do specify a couple pellet consumption rates on the web-site.
  • #3 by Stranger on 30 Dec 2021
  • Thanks for the welcome .
    Being new can be concerning and that's why I asked about it .
    Seems to fit bill perfectly as long as they're a Mccoy product.
  • #4 by glitchy on 30 Dec 2021
  • They’re not a new company, just new to the pellet world. They’ve been making stick burners a while.
  • #5 by Stranger on 31 Dec 2021
  • Do you have an opinion that their smokers glitchy?
  • #6 by Canadian John on 31 Dec 2021

•  My take on the Lone Star Grillz:  My initial take was a Yoder derivative - HD materials, built like a tank.  There does not appear to be the use of any thin less expensive materials. No skimping there.

The downside, as with Yoder would be rust. As with Yoder, the rust would take years to do any structural damage.

The instructions are the best I have ever seen. To me, it shows how much these people know and care about their product. That is a major plus!

Made in the USA: Excellent. Keeps business @ home and should make finding parts if ever required, easier.

Some things to think about:  450º max heat. It could mean heat recovery may be slow????  The smoke stack damper. If it could be closed 100%, it could cause problems..   Expanded metal grates are harder to

clean than round bar grates. The expanded metal bottom shelf once rust takes hold, could be hard to restore. The "ball valve" as part of the grease drain system could end up as problematic, accelerated by cold

weather.

As with anything new, growing pains are inevitable. I am confident the company would correct deficiencies both by updating the design and supporting the customers.

The cold smoke and charcoal features could be handy for some. I wouldn't use them as tiebreakers from a purchasing point.

This pit has a very positive air about it..If the shoe fits....

Hope this helps a bit.

Forgot -  WELCOME Stranger

• #7 by Stranger on 31 Dec 2021
  • Canadian John
    That is basically what I assed but without seeing or using one it is only my opinion.
    Thanks for your input and welcome .
  • #8 by glitchy on 31 Dec 2021
  • Do you have an opinion that their smokers glitchy?

I don’t, I just know they’ve been making stick burners a while. The LSG pellet grill had been announced for a while, but still not out 10 months ago when I bought my MAK, I looked closely at it, but wasn’t ready to buy another new to market grill after the SmokeFire. I still have seen very very little about the LSG pellet. I’m assuming that means good things as people are just quietly and happily using them. I’ve seen a few posts other places of people with them, they just never say much other than they got one. People that have their stick burners rave about those.
Pages:
Actions