Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jdmessner on 02 Oct 2017
  • I have an old Traeger and am trying to figure out what to do about a drip pan. I am not sure how the newer models work, but I would really like to figure something out.

The way it is now configured there is a large heavy pan that goes the length and width of the grill. It sits flat over the fire pots and has two chimneys that are capped. There is no drain, just the pan which appears to be one giant grease pit (no place for anything to drain into one of those cute little pails that I've seen on the sides of other grills).

I'm not real sure about drilling into the pan for a drain, would rather not if I don't need to.
    Perhaps I could use some sort of sheet tray on an angle that would drain into a pan.

The picure below is not great, but kind of shows the set up. Hopefully you get the gist of what I am talking about. If not I will take and some better pictures in the next day or two. For some reason most of the pictures I post end up being upside down or sideways. My appologies if it doesn't come out jelly side up.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by AnyExcuse2Q on 02 Oct 2017
  • The modern Traegers have a similar pan, but it's sloped to one side and has a lip that catches into a trough on the far end from the hopper.  That dumps the grease into the bucket hung on the side.  It's not a horrible arrangement--maybe you can tip your tray a bit and emulate something similar?
  • #3 by bproffer on 03 Oct 2017
  • My old Traeger BBQ 070 had a drip tray like that with no grease drain. I just kept it lined with foil and cleaned it often, but it was less than ideal. I recall there was a post on Pelletheads years ago where someone fabricated a drip pan replacement for that but that's not much help now.
Pages:
Actions