Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aging a Sirloin Strip loin in a Umai bag.  (Read 373 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Aging a Sirloin Strip loin in a Umai bag.
« on: January 06, 2022, 06:46:35 PM »

Bought the Steak Umai bags for my first trial of dry aging in the fridge.  Bought a 15.4 lb choice strip at Costco for $7.99/lbs.  Would have preferred the boneless rib eye roast, but it was twice as much, and since this is my first trial, I went for the strip instead. I found that getting the meat in the bag without making a mess was nearly impossible. But got er done finally.  Next time will use the sausage sheet wraps instead with the elastic net.  In the demo on YouTube it is much easier and just as effective with far less mess IMO. Meanwhile, going for 40 days or more.  It will sit untouched or moved for 7 days with fat cap up. Then turn it over for the remainder of time. Sorry no pics at the beginning, but will show the finished product before and after cutting and trimming.  And of course after the first cook.  Have decided on the sear first, vacuum seal, and sous vide for the first dinner.  The remaining steaks will be seared, and vac sealed and then frozen.  That way they can be dropped in sous vide to finish when desired. Is 135* medium for strip? 
Will I have to do a short, quick sear before serving or is that necessary?

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Aging a Sirloin Strip loin in a Umai bag.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 09:30:11 AM »

That sounds like an interesting project.   Will it be worth the effort? 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 10:06:47 AM »

Aged NY Strip for Valentines Day!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

just4fn

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 10:52:41 AM »

That sounds like an interesting project.   Will it be worth the effort?

Actually no effort after getting it into the bag.  Just waiting with anticipation.  Kind of like waiting for your birthday when you were a kid.
GMG Daniel Boone, Blackstone 36 griddle, Primo XL Kamado with Flame Boss 300 and a FireBoard.

okie smokie

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 06:03:28 PM »

Not sure about the effort until the first tasting.  Easy enough to do.  Have read reports that the difference in tenderness and taste is great for some and not significant for others. Expensive experiment, but "nothing ventured, nothing gained." I chose the strip over the ribeye for that reason. 
I have one question for all to consider:
After the strip loin is aged, and cut into steaks, should I sear first, then seal or seal first (individual), and sous vide all of them before freezing/preparing. I was going to sear them first, and freeze those not eaten. ??  :-\

urnmor

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 06:12:55 PM »

I have one question for all to consider:
After the strip loin is aged, and cut into steaks, should I sear first, then seal or seal first (individual), and sous vide all of them before freezing/preparing. I was going to sear them first, and freeze those not eaten. ??  :-\
[/quote]

If I understand your question correctly You will cooking some once the steak is aged and the others frozen.  Although I have not cooked an aged steak (I might now try aging as it seems relatively easy after reading some posts) I no longer sear before SV.  I now only sear after the steak reaches my desired temp of 131.  I and my wife have found it to taste better. 

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 06:20:01 PM »

Is 135* medium for strip?
Yeah.  I usually SV at 120-125°F for Med-Rare, so you should be golden at 130-135°F.

Will I have to do a short, quick sear before serving or is that necessary?
I always do, not necessarily for appearance because the steaks will be dark after SVing, but for the additional flavor the browning provides.  They will be very wet when they come out of the SV bag and you'll need to blot them completely dry or they'll not brown to your liking.

EDIT:  I don't notice that +5°F makes much difference in the SV result, so my above temperatures could be raised and be of no consequence.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 06:25:18 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

okie smokie

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 09:40:11 AM »

Good info!  Will sear before serving.  Nice to know you can have steaks in freezer that just need to be defrosted and seared to enjoy. Can do that in a fry pan. I assume that seasoning should be done before SV and only maybe a little touch up when searing?

I have learned that since seasoning is not lost during SV, that less is needed. Whereas when just grilling, much of seasoning drips into the grill. I have not seen any mention of that in articles or on this site.   ???

just4fn

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 08:18:11 PM »

Good info!  Will sear before serving.  Nice to know you can have steaks in freezer that just need to be defrosted and seared to enjoy. Can do that in a fry pan. I assume that seasoning should be done before SV and only maybe a little touch up when searing?

I have learned that since seasoning is not lost during SV, that less is needed. Whereas when just grilling, much of seasoning drips into the grill. I have not seen any mention of that in articles or on this site.   ???

I would not cook them or SV them until you are ready to eat that day.  SV them at 130 for 2 hours, dry them off and then sear on cast iron or over very hot coals.   Should be great.
GMG Daniel Boone, Blackstone 36 griddle, Primo XL Kamado with Flame Boss 300 and a FireBoard.

okie smokie

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 04:55:18 PM »

I would not cook them or SV them until you are ready to eat that day.  SV them at 130 for 2 hours, dry them off and then sear on cast iron or over very hot coals.   Should be great.

Why not SV all at once and freeze those to be eaten another time?  What is lost?
Pages: [1]   Go Up