Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low temp problem  (Read 1625 times)

Jon515

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Low temp problem
« on: January 10, 2022, 12:16:58 PM »

I have a small grill, I believe its a 20 series. Lately if I want to run it on smoke or even at 180 the fire goes out. I assumed it was too much ash but today I cleaned it out and there was almost nothing, but when I shut it down and restart it, it fires back up.  Any idea what could be causing this? Its happened roughly 3 times now.

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Low temp problem
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 12:21:50 PM »

Have you tried taking the grates and such out so the burn pot is visible and watch the whole startup process?
You will be able to see what is going on that way and maybe narrow down the cause.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 01:23:11 PM »

Traeger used to have a cold weather setting on their controller to change which would allow for longer startup time to get to temp.  Most controllers time out after x minutes if they don't hit set temp.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 01:54:34 PM »

Good point about removing the internals & watching.

You may also want to dial in a cook temp IE: 325º and see if it preforms well. Bear in mind, cold weather and Traeger are not friends.  If it works, the problem could be damp pellets. If that's the case, dry or change them.

If the controller has "P" settings, the"P" or pause time could be too much allowing the fire to burnout  before the auger restarts.

Keep us posted please.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 05:14:00 PM »

My response was going to be P setting!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Jon515

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 09:39:48 PM »

Good point about removing the internals & watching.

You may also want to dial in a cook temp IE: 325º and see if it preforms well. Bear in mind, cold weather and Traeger are not friends.  If it works, the problem could be damp pellets. If that's the case, dry or change them.

If the controller has "P" settings, the"P" or pause time could be too much allowing the fire to burnout  before the auger restarts.

Keep us posted please.

I used it today at high temp and it had no problem. I didn't pull the grease tray and watch the start up, but I'm guessing it was the cold, my Traeger is basic and doesn't have a "P" setting!  Thanks for the help.

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 01:42:22 AM »

Why are you after smoke or 180 in winter? Are you trying to make jerky or something? If you set to 225+ and you’ll probably be fine. No idea what Traeger settled on when they dumped the P-Setting, but good chance the logic is still there, they just picked a setting and rolled with it. Though it’s often the basic Traegers that had the p-setting until the newer controllers came out in last couple years. It’s a little hole in the face of the controller.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 10:11:02 AM by glitchy »
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 12:49:45 PM »

My response was going to be P setting!

That was my first thought. But I'm not sure that the newer Traegers have the ability to change the P settings. Setting P setting to zero solved similar problems when I had then. I have since switched to first a SS3 then an SS4.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 02:39:56 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Jon515

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 02:05:57 PM »

Why are you after smoke or 180 in winter? Are you trying to make jerky or something? If you set to 225+ and you’ll probably be fine. No idea what Traeger settled on when they dumped the P-Setting, but good chance the logic is still there, they just picked a setting and rolled with it. Though it’s often the basic Traegers that had the p-setting until the newer controllers came out in last couple years. It’s a little hole in the face of the controller.

I was going to smoke some steaks at the lower temp, pull them off, turn the temp us and finish with a sear.

glitchy

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 10:17:19 PM »

I was going to smoke some steaks at the lower temp, pull them off, turn the temp us and finish with a sear.

I get wanting them in the smoke longer then. I reverse steaks at 225-250 a lot and still get no banding though.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

glitchy

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 01:17:24 PM »

Does your controller have a little sticker that says call for service? They might be hiding the p-setting button under that. If you haven’t called them, might be worth a shot.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 02:35:07 PM »

There may be some help out there.. An Ortech controller.. Has: "P" settings, a cool down cycle, reads in 5º increments and comes with an RTD (shorter length).. I had one on my Lil Tex I gave to my daughter. 

It  worked well. The 5º increment display was nice as it eliminated the small temperature swing #'s that tended to not really do much more than be a nuisance.

The cool down cycle is timed, not temperature driven..  Forgot. Made in the USA.

Pages: [1]   Go Up