Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Traeger

Low temp problem

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jon515:

--- Quote from: Canadian John on January 10, 2022, 01:54:34 PM ---
 Good point about removing the internals & watching.

You may also want to dial in a cook temp IE: 325º and see if it preforms well. Bear in mind, cold weather and Traeger are not friends.  If it works, the problem could be damp pellets. If that's the case, dry or change them.

If the controller has "P" settings, the"P" or pause time could be too much allowing the fire to burnout  before the auger restarts.

Keep us posted please.

--- End quote ---

I used it today at high temp and it had no problem. I didn't pull the grease tray and watch the start up, but I'm guessing it was the cold, my Traeger is basic and doesn't have a "P" setting!  Thanks for the help.

glitchy:
Why are you after smoke or 180 in winter? Are you trying to make jerky or something? If you set to 225+ and you’ll probably be fine. No idea what Traeger settled on when they dumped the P-Setting, but good chance the logic is still there, they just picked a setting and rolled with it. Though it’s often the basic Traegers that had the p-setting until the newer controllers came out in last couple years. It’s a little hole in the face of the controller.

hughver:

--- Quote from: Bentley on January 10, 2022, 05:14:00 PM ---My response was going to be P setting!

--- End quote ---

That was my first thought. But I'm not sure that the newer Traegers have the ability to change the P settings. Setting P setting to zero solved similar problems when I had then. I have since switched to first a SS3 then an SS4.

Jon515:

--- Quote from: glitchy on January 12, 2022, 01:42:22 AM ---Why are you after smoke or 180 in winter? Are you trying to make jerky or something? If you set to 225+ and you’ll probably be fine. No idea what Traeger settled on when they dumped the P-Setting, but good chance the logic is still there, they just picked a setting and rolled with it. Though it’s often the basic Traegers that had the p-setting until the newer controllers came out in last couple years. It’s a little hole in the face of the controller.

--- End quote ---

I was going to smoke some steaks at the lower temp, pull them off, turn the temp us and finish with a sear.

glitchy:

--- Quote from: Jon515 on January 13, 2022, 02:05:57 PM ---I was going to smoke some steaks at the lower temp, pull them off, turn the temp us and finish with a sear.

--- End quote ---

I get wanting them in the smoke longer then. I reverse steaks at 225-250 a lot and still get no banding though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View