Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 15 Jan 2022
  • So, we are suppose to be hit with 6 inches of snow, starting tomorrow evening.  Then it will turn into either freezing rain or rain (I hope for the rain!) and high winds.  Perfect recipe for more power outages.  Hope I am wrong.  We had 600 poles down in Virginia in the area of the last storm and numerous trees and branches and I would like to think maybe that got rid of all the bad stuff.

Today is more prep day.  Bent has already brought up a lot of fire wood and I have gathered the heavy duty extension cords, flashlights and new batteries. Also have several gallons of water in containers in the kitchen and will get the 5 gal containers filled and in garage and will fill tub tonight. Bent is going to bring up both generators this time around.  Then just hope the power stays on!

Hope any of you who have been in this storms path are doing well, are safe and have power.  If you don't hear much from us after Sunday evening, probably means we have lost power.
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 15 Jan 2022
  • Good luck to you, now that you have all of this prepared it will be a light hit hopefully.

I looked one time and we were to be getting 12 to 18 but this morning maybe 8 to12 inches. Didn't see much on the wind.

I used to love snow, out in it messing around, driving, donuts all that fun stuff. Now I don't like it so much, I go out and fall down in it and have to try to get myself back up and I pay to have the driveway plowed. Now it is just a pain in the behind in both instances.

We don't lose power to often where I live now, I heat with a pellet stove, but have kerosene heaters if I need, and a gas range.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Jan 2022
  • Best of luck to everyone in this storm's path.  Right now it is just slightly negative wind chills here.  It is supposed to start with some ice and then turn to snow here Sunday evening into late Monday afternoon.  Forecast of 3-6 inches of snow.
  • #4 by urnmor on 15 Jan 2022
  • All be safe and if you have generators be sure to buy gas early.  Be cause if the power goes out the gas-pumps do not work
  • #5 by yorkdude on 15 Jan 2022
  • Hope everyone stays safe. We got maybe 2” of snow but over an ice glaze. Wind was pretty stout though and we have about 40% of our roof gone from the 100 mph winds 3 weeks ago. Our area got hit very hard then, roofers are 4-6 months out!
  • #6 by 02ebz06 on 15 Jan 2022
  • Best of luck to everyone in it's path.
    Getting some food cooked before any potential outage may be a good idea.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Jan 2022
  • Just read forecast for snow has been almost cut in half for this area but storm is now snow, then sleet, then freezing rain, then rain.  I don't have to go anywhere Monday so I'm not too concerned about it.  That and I've been in some 30+ inch storms already so this is not such a big deal.  Par for the course for this time of year.
  • #8 by Bentley on 15 Jan 2022
  • Works for me!

I enjoy the snow, enjoy getting on the tractor and playing in the snow while clearing driveways...but I do not do power outages well!  To addicted to TV and internet!

Good luck to you, now that you have all of this prepared it will be a light hit hopefully.
  • #9 by reubenray on 15 Jan 2022
  • We are getting our third snowfall of the year, but nothing like what y'all are getting.  But this is a lot for the Louisiana boy.  I have the generator ready just in case though.  I also have a portable propane heater ready if necessary.  I am working on getting a permanent ventless propane fireplace installed in an entertainment center.  Our local electric co-op spent all summer cutting down a lot of trees to hopefully prevent any outages.  This snow event will give us 2 to 3 inches and not near as cold as the second was.  The temperatures at that one got down to 12 degrees.  I ran my inverter generator for about an hour that time to power up my electric heaters in my garage.  This was good for the garage and for the generator.

Here's hoping y'all will not lose your power this time.
  • #10 by ZCZ on 15 Jan 2022
  • Moved to Southern California primarily to be close to daughters and grandkids. But in the back of my mind so glad to be out from under the many brutal winters we had in MN. Did not have the power outages you have out east and south as they were pretty prepared.  But about the time March rolled along you were really tired of looking at snow. Melted by April but seemed the last five years we always got about a foot in mid April. Do not miss it. Hope you come thru OK.
    Alan
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Jan 2022
  • Right now, the sun is shining brightly here.  Snow, sleet, freezing rain, and rain is supposed to start about 5pm.  Looks like snow may have started in "Mayberry" already.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #12 by Bentley on 16 Jan 2022
  • We are supposed to have been in the snow for the last hour, but it is just gray here.  It is supposed to snow 5-8 inches in the next 6 hours, don't dee that happening.  Then turn to sleet and freezing rain for a couple of hours, then turn to rain.  Will see.
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Jan 2022
  • sounds like you have the same differing types of precipitation that are forecasted for here except we have less snowfall forecasted.  I'm about to order pizza so we have food to eat all day  ;D
  • #14 by pmillen on 16 Jan 2022
  • I think that it was this storm that passed over Omaha Friday.  We had rain, freezing rain and snow—about four inches driven by high wind.  It didn't drift too much because the snow was wet and sticky.

Today, Sunday, we have a forecast of 40°F, so it should melt somewhat.  That means that people will drive to work on ice tomorrow morning.
  • #15 by reubenray on 16 Jan 2022
  • The storm left us about 3" of snow as it moved East last night.  We never did get the 30 to 40 mph winds forecasted.  Maybe y'all will escape the worse also.  My smokers are not very happy with this.  I have them under a small cover, but it didn't seem to help much.
Pages:
Actions