Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Taco Night...  (Read 677 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Taco Night...
« on: January 26, 2022, 12:21:35 PM »

Kristin and a friend of mine will be going to an intro meeting for the ESL classes they are going to teach on Friday.  We will be having a Taco night when they get back.  I just ponied up a few weeks ago for Netflix, and I have been watching a show called Taco Cornicles.  They had one episode on American where they highlighted different styles in US and one was the Puffy Taco out of South Texas.  So these were attempts at that, but with my homemade corn tortilla's, they were good, but it was a fail.  They were old tortilla's.  I wanted to make an adobo sauce for a marinade for the Asada tacos (will do GB & chopped asada).  I have no Ancho & Guajillo chilis so am going with what I have from last year.  Chipolata's, and a few others I have no idea what they are, will be close, but no cigar!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
Re: Taco Night...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 12:58:47 PM »

What was the fail? Was it with the tortillas? I find that cooking homemade tortillas takes a bit more nurturing than the thin tortillas that you get at the store.

In fact, I have started to use the more nurturing technique on all tortillas, which allows me to create easier to stuff, wide mouth tacos.

The difference is that I have to do them one at a time instead of four at a time. It's more effort, but a better outcome.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 01:06:47 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 03:04:10 PM »

I believe the tortilla's were to old with no preservatives, to puff like the ones I saw them make in El Paso!  Those were almost like a fry bread tortilla!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 03:10:27 PM »

The chili's rehydrated easy enough.  I added garlic, oregano, onion, soy sauce, lemon juice, cumin & salt and blended, adding rehydration water as needed.  Then mixed with beef chunks and it will marinate for about 48 hours.  Pretty sure there is not enough acid in it to break it down to much in that period!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 03:16:57 PM »

I am Muy Gringo when it comes to taco's, if I cant have fried corn tortilla's I am out.  I guess it is why I am a carne asada guy when it comes to tacos.  That warm flour tortilla, fill with as many things as you want.  The Chicago Dog of Taco's.  My flour tortilla's will be homemade right before we eat.  Dough is below.  Kristin truly embraces a hybrid Gringo/Mexican taco.  She likes the warm corn tortilla (they will be store bought as mine are not as good), but will add cheese and sour cream sometimes, along with the super gringo lettuce & tomatoes!

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 03:32:21 PM »

The trick to corn tortillas is getting them to puff. For this, you need the right consistency of the masa. Also, place the tortilla on the griddle. Tap the middle. If everything is right, this will trigger the puff.

This is where you have to play with the process until you get something that works. I am always pleased when I get a good puff. I am still working on being more consistent. Some puff large; some puff a little; and others don't puff at all.

You should get the puff when originally making the tortillas. If you don't get it then, I am not sure you will get it when frying.

And by the way, I am a real fan of lettuce and tomato on tacos. Tacos are the perfect combination of hot/cold and soft/cruchy with great contrast between the layers meat, cheese, lettuce and tomato.

They may be American tacos, but that does not make them any less worthy. I think I will make me some cheese tacos now.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 03:36:12 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 03:52:57 PM »

The puff in the puffy taco from El Paso come from frying it!  And yes, believe it or not it does!

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 04:01:04 PM »

What I was trying to point out is that the air pocket is made when you make the tortilla. It is the air pocket that puffs when you fry them. You need to get the separation of layers when the tortilla is made to get a good puff.

I just finished making and eating my cheese tacos for lunch. They were good.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 04:12:08 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 05:40:46 PM »

OK, I see what you are saying.  There is a woman on youtube that does a double flour and mergers them together to make the huge Sonoran style,  Like 18-20 inch tortillas, she does it just for the separation when cooked. Paper thin, I tried to replicate one tonight and just don't have the skill to drawn the dough out that thin.  Nor do I have anything close that could cook something with that diameter!  Those are my favorite flour tortillas.  Only place I have ever seen some thing close to it was the Van Nuys RD years ago.  They were only about 14 inch, but they were the largest flour tortilla I had even seen sold.   

I agree that folks should eat taco's they way they enjoy them.  That was the take away on the show.  It is almost like a cheeseburger, many ways to make them, I do not want egg and avocado on mine, but many do.  I do not want a toasted bun, but many do.  I really do not want 2 pieces of toast for my bun but many do!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:45:48 PM by Bentley »

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 06:52:29 PM »

Making corn tortillas is a challenge, but can look pretty easy when you watch someone who is really good at it.

I have been working on chili rellenos lately. I have done four batches so far and am still refining the process.

They are coming out pretty good but it always looks easier in the video. Maybe they edit out the mistakes.

I have to pin mine with toothpicks after stuffing. I can't seem to keep the slit from opening up all the way.

Some of these folks you watch on line are really talented at what they do.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 06:55:48 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 04:01:00 AM »

This is what I put together for lunch after reading Bently's post. Then I went and had a taco and chili relleno plate for dinner. Don't get me started. I may not be able to quit.

The taco shells are my new wide mouth variety. The tacos are cheese with lettuce and tomato. Real simple. I build them as I eat them.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 07:43:44 AM »

They all are looking good so far. Not a one I would not eat and look for more.

Hank, those are corn shells you made? Are they deep fried to make crisp, or baked in a hot oven?

I love hard tacos. Just simple meat, mater, lettuce, cheese and some sauce. If the meat has good flavors I don't even need sauce.

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 08:50:01 AM »

I like to take a warm soft corn tortilla and wrap it around the crispy one when we have crispy tacos.  It keeps me from wearing everything when the tortilla shatters with the first bite.  I try to get all of the goodness in me and not on me.  I too love puffy tacos but can't figure out the technique. 

They are very popular up the road in San Antonio, which is where they supposedly originated in the 1950s.  The minor league baseball team has Henry The Puffy Taco as a mascot. 
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 09:51:47 AM »

It was San Antione not El Paso...My apologies to San Antonioians!

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 10:27:36 AM »

I think El Paso claims it also as well as a few places down in the Rio Grande Valley.  Not that it really matters other than they are delicious :lick:
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up