Here's How I.... > Cook Pork

Not your normal pork jerky.

(1/1)

BigDave83:
Was on the old Youtube the other week and came across a video for Sin Lod Moo Pork Jerky. Since I had a butt in the back fridge I thought why not give it a shot. I cut about 1000 grams out of it for this and the rest in to pork steaks.

Here is the recipe I took from the video. I didn't have coconut sugar so I subbed honey and the 2 different soy sauces after a little searching I could not find the one locally. Seeing it was for flavor and the soy sauce we think of is more for color, I used fish sauce. I also added 0.25% Cure 1 (I put cure in all of my jerky) and I added some chipotle powder.

INGREDIENTS:
Pork butt, a little over a pound
Coconut sugar,  1 tbsp
Msg, 1 tsp
Salt, 1 tsp
Oyster sauce,  1 tbsp
Black pepper,  1/2  tsp
Garlic powder,  1 tsp
Seasoning soy sauce,  1 tbsp
Thin soy sauce,  1 tbsp
Veg. Oil, 1 tbsp
Sesame seeds,  1-1/2  tbsp

For the drying they didn't specify temp, I decided on 135 for 5 hours, that way the fat would not render out in the dehydrator. I think smoking it at a low temp or maybe even a fan and smoke tube would be an interesting addition. The frying I did not do 5 to 6 minutes as the video suggested more like 3 to 4  as it was getting dark.

It is pretty good, whole different texture than what we think of when we talk jerky. I believe I will be making this again tweaking the recipe some to my tastes. When you can get butts for $1 a pound at times it makes some cheap snacks.

First picture is pre dehydrator, Second is post dehydrator, Third is the fry, Fourth and Fifth is final product with one having a piece cut to show inside.

yorkdude:
That looks pretty interesting.

Canadian John:

--- Quote from: yorkdude on January 29, 2022, 04:51:09 AM ---That looks pretty interesting.

--- End quote ---
  +1.  Nice job. Great pics.

02ebz06:
Definitely different with the frying part.  I bet it tastes good.

BigDave83:
Saying it is jerky is a stretch to me, but in Asian countries where this probably originated it is their idea of jerky possibly.

I want to try to make some Biltong. when I can find meat that is reasonable in case it is a disaster. This project I figured how bad could it be, seasoned pork dried and deep fried.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version
Mobile View