Pages:
Actions
  • #106 by Hank D Thoreau on 01 Aug 2023
  • I also did quick quesadillas with the flap meat. The advantage of the flap meat is that slicing it cross grain makes it easy to chew.

These are made with cheddar and a Mexican cheese blend, along with mild chiles and the flap meat.

I don't like overloaded quesadillas. I think it spoils the balance that is so important in Mexican food. This is about the most I will put in them.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #107 by Bentley on 01 Aug 2023
  • Skirt & Flank, the 2 meats I love to use the most for Mexican foods are just way to expensive at this time.  used to be ground for GB and no has become so popular it is almost as much as Rib-eye!  Your meals look good, I need to make some Beef Enchiladas and Tamales!
  • #108 by Hank D Thoreau on 03 Aug 2023
  • Skirt & Flank, the 2 meats I love to use the most for Mexican foods are just way to expensive at this time.  used to be ground for GB and no has become so popular it is almost as much as Rib-eye!  Your meals look good, I need to make some Beef Enchiladas and Tamales!

I'm interested in seeing how you do both, especially the tamales. Tamales are a holiday classic since you often need to engage the whole family in assembling them. You can also use smoked beef chuck or pork butt, though I have found that smoked meats change the flavor profile of Mexican food. It is very good, but different.
  • #109 by Hank D Thoreau on 05 Aug 2023
  • It is a departure for me to bring up standard fast food "Mexican Food" but, I had to show why I like Del Taco over Taco Bell.

Most fast food tacos use cheese as a garnish. Look at how much cheese I get from Del Taco.

That, and better prefabricated taco shells (better is a relative statement) and sauce make Del Taco the winner.

While I am not a fan of prefab shells, I would still take a prefab over a "taco" made with a flour tortilla (which I hardly think qualifies as a taco).

Frying up taco shells is not that hard. I have a pan that I call my taco pan that spends much of its time being used to cook shells.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #110 by BigDave83 on 05 Aug 2023
  • It is a departure for me to bring up standard fast food "Mexican Food" but, I had to show why I like Del Taco over Taco Bell.

Most fast food tacos use cheese as a garnish. Look at how much cheese I get from Del Taco.

That, and better prefabricated taco shells (better is a relative statement) and sauce make Del Taco the winner.

While I am not a fan of prefab shells, I would still take a prefab over the a "taco" made with a flour tortilla (which I hardly think qualifies as a taco).

Frying up taco shells is not that hard. I have a pan that I call my taco pan that spends much of its time being used to cook shells.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

How do you do shells?

I would like to make a taco shell that is larger, say 8-10 tortilla to start, although I have never seen corn tortilla that big, or I just didn't pay attention if I have.
  • #111 by Brushpopper on 05 Aug 2023
  • I've never seen one that big either, Dave.  But you could always make your own corn tortillas.  It will take some trial and error to get the masa right.  I'm not good at it at all.  I'm sure there are YouTube videos that give better instructions than I could.  You could cook them on your griddle and then fry them in a skillet that's big enough.  We just use store bought corn ones.  I put enough vegetable oil in a skillet to cover a tortilla (1/4 inch or so) and get the grease hot.  Lay the tortilla flat in the hot grease for just a few seconds then fold it in half with a fork.  Once the bottom side gets to your liking flip it over and do the other side to your liking.  They ain't pretty but they're tasty.  I'm sure Hank is an expert compared to me.

On a side note, there are some restaurants around here that fry flour tortillas if you want a bigger shell.  I've never seen it done and can't eat them so I've never tried.  Some places even offer puffy tacos with flour tortillas but most puffy tacos are corn.
  • #112 by Bentley on 05 Aug 2023
  • These last few post have inspired me to make some Chorizo Quesadilla's for lunch!
  • #113 by Bentley on 05 Aug 2023
  • My homemade Chorizo with some 4 blend cheese!  It needed pepper jack!

• #114 by BigDave83 on 05 Aug 2023
  • That looks like a  great lunch.
  • #115 by BigDave83 on 05 Aug 2023
  • I will have to look for a recipe for corn tortillas and probably need to buy a press, or I would assume. I do have some courser ground corn meal from one of the festivals where they grind it fresh. Not sure if that is even what is used. I have taco holders, I could probably drip in the hot oil for a few seconds and then in to a holder and allow it to form. I may need to try that with the small ones I have to see how it works.
  • #116 by Hank D Thoreau on 05 Aug 2023
  • I will have to look for a recipe for corn tortillas and probably need to buy a press, or I would assume. I do have some courser ground corn meal from one of the festivals where they grind it fresh. Not sure if that is even what is used. I have taco holders, I could probably drip in the hot oil for a few seconds and then in to a holder and allow it to form. I may need to try that with the small ones I have to see how it works.

These posts are to my tutorial on making corn tortillas. You start with Masa Harina which may not be the same as the ground corn flour that you have.

Making corn tortilla
    https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=4867.0
    https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=6839.msg70848#msg70848

You don't need the tortilla holders unless you would like to use them to drain the taco shells after they are made. I have a method to make wide mouth taco shells that works pretty well. I do it in a pan with oil. I have thought about making a video showing how to do it, but I don't have a YouTube channel, so I am not sure how to share it. Maybe I can post it directly like we do with photos. I am inexperienced in the world of on-line video.

It is much easier to start with store bought corn tortillas. Homemade tortillas are usually thicker which makes them more difficult to fry. Learning on store bought is easier, and they turn out great. Most of the tacos I make are with store bought tortillas.
  • #117 by Hank D Thoreau on 05 Aug 2023
  • My homemade Chorizo with some 4 blend cheese!  It needed pepper jack!

Adding green chilies will give them the pop you may have missed by not having the pepper jack cheese. I use canned green chilies for quick quesadillas. They come diced in mild and hot. You can also cut up chilies. I find a mix of something mild like an Anaheim or poblano, along with something a bit hotter like a jalapeno works fine. I blew my stomach out years ago eating too much really hot food, so I keep mine fairly mild.
  • #118 by BigDave83 on 06 Aug 2023

These posts are to my tutorial on making corn tortillas. You start with Masa Harina which may not be the same as the ground corn flour that you have.

Making corn tortilla
    https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=4867.0
    https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=6839.msg70848#msg70848

You don't need the tortilla holders unless you would like to use them to drain the taco shells after they are made. I have a method to make wide mouth taco shells that works pretty well. I do it in a pan with oil. I have thought about making a video showing how to do it, but I don't have a YouTube channel, so I am not sure how to share it. Maybe I can post it directly like we do with photos. I am inexperienced in the world of on-line video.

It is much easier to start with store bought corn tortillas. Homemade tortillas are usually thicker which makes them more difficult to fry. Learning on store bought is easier, and they turn out great. Most of the tacos I make are with store bought tortillas.

Thank you, I forgot about that thread and went back and revisited it and discovered back then I figured the difference. Next trip to the store I will look for Masa.
  • #119 by Hank D Thoreau on 07 Aug 2023
  • This is something I have done on the smoker, but it was hot today and I decided to use the oven.

This is a Mexican style Spanish rice. We decided to take some of it to stuff round yellow squash and bell peppers.

The rice dish was made with chopped onions, red and green bell peppers, Anaheim pepper, jalapeno, heirloom tomato, plus kernals from two ears of corn, garlic, a pound of ground turkey and rice.

It was spiced with chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper and probably a couple things that I forgot. I also added canned crushed and diced tomatoes.

This is an excellent dish to put in the smoker if you want to get a smokey flavor. You can also add black beans if you want to stray a bit from typical Spanish rice.

[ Invalid Attachment ]    [ Invalid Attachment ]    [ Invalid Attachment ]    [ Invalid Attachment ]    [ Invalid Attachment ]

• #120 by BigDave83 on 31 Aug 2023
  •  Saw poblanos at the farmers market and bought 6 of them. Decided I wanted to try chili rellanos, until I saw what was involved, mainly the battering and deep frying part. While looking I saw a casserole and decide to go that route.

First time roasting peppers to peel, could have went a little longer on some of them. The recipe I used seemed simple enough. The GF wanted pulled pork nachos so we had then also.

The casserole really didn't have much flavor to it. Cheese I used was pepper jack I sliced and some shredded taco blend cheese. May have to search for better recipe for the next time.

Pages:
Actions