Pages:
Actions
  • #121 by Hank D Thoreau on 31 Aug 2023
  • The trick to peeling the poblanos is to blacken them under a broiler and/or directly in the flame of a stove burner. I often to a combination of both starting with the broiler.

After that, stick them in a boil and cover with plastic wrap for 10 or 15 minutes. If you do it right, the skin will come off easily. If not, you may have to scrape a bit with your fingernail.

I did a jalapeno over the burner today for machaca and eggs. That post is coming next.

Chile rellenos are a bit of work and make a mess. Hopefully, you will get the spicing down and make the casserole version work.

Chile rellenos do not have an overpowering flavor. That is why they are often coupled with a salsa style sauce. I usually eat mine without sauce so I can better taste the subtle flavor of the poblanos.

Like most Mexican food, it is highly customizable to suit your taste.
  • #122 by Hank D Thoreau on 31 Aug 2023
  • Don't miss BigDave's new post. He posted right before me.

I have made faux machaca and eggs using smoked and shredded beef chuck. While it is very good, the smoke flavor changes the nature of Mexican food.

I decided that I would make the traditional Northern Mexican dish using authentic dried beef machaca. We were able to find packages of machaca at our local Mexican market, though it took a bit of help from a couple of store employees to find it.

While the machaca is pretty pricey at $8.99 for a 3.5-ounce package, it goes really far. We used about a 1/3 a cup in our machaca and egg recipe for one. We still have most of the package left.

Machaca is dried beef, much like beef jerky, that is shredded. It rehydrates when cooked in oil. It can be used in any way that you would use beef in a Mexican dish.

There are recipes for machaca dishes that use undried spiced and shredded beef chuck. I will probably dedicate one of my chucks for trying out one of these recipes.

We used diced green, red and orange bell peppers, diced onions, diced heirloom tomato from our garden, half a peeled jalapeno pepper, machaca, two eggs, garlic and cumin.

It turned out great, tasting more like a what you may find at a good Mexican restaurant.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]

• #123 by Hank D Thoreau on 04 Feb 2024
  • We hosted a reunion of our college mountaineering club this weekend including folks travelling from out of state.

The food was built around shredded beef from three beef chucks which I smoked using my usual method.

We offered classic street tacos, air fryer taquitos, BBQ sandwiches, baked potatoes with beef, and just plain beef.

This included mountains of homemade guacamole. The only thing that folks did not try were the BBQ sandwiches.

Everything was set to be assembled on the spot so that only meant that we did not use the buns or the BBQ sauce.

The food was a massive success. Here are some pictures of the classic street tacos: shredded beef, minced purple onions and cilantro, with the hot sauce of choice on two small tortillas.

I used my griddle to heat the tortillas and to reheat the shredded beef which I smoked for eight hours two days prior.

The street tacos were very popular. I used a simple traditional recipe of shredded beef, minced purple onions and cilantro.

We often over complicate classic recipes thinking it will make them better. Keeping it simple often produces the best balance of flavors.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #124 by Bentley on 04 Feb 2024
  • I bet it was well received!
  • #125 by Hank D Thoreau on 06 Feb 2024
  • I bet it was well received!

We had one guy who is a lifetime bachelor who told us that many folks came for the food. It was originally suggested that we cook a package and a half of spaghetti. That the type of food some of the climbing types expected.

Our food plan really closed the deal in getting everyone out, including five that flew to California from Colorado.

Fortunately, we had perfect weather, getting it in before the first of the big storms hit. The Colorado folks went to Disneyland the day before the first storm, so it worked it really well for everyone.
Pages:
Actions