Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Hank D Thoreau on 25 Feb 2022
  • I was in Tucson on business several years ago. A local took us to what was supposed to be a great Mexican restaurant.

My tacos were made with pre-formed tortillas. That's just not right. You can't be great if you can't do the basics.

My usual test is tacos and enchiladas. If they don't do a good job on those then they don't deserve another chance.

We get better tacos at drive throughs than the taco in your photo. What a disappointment.

I just picked up some good soft tacos at a local drive through for lunch today.
  • #17 by Hank D Thoreau on 25 Feb 2022
  • This is a standard taco plate from Pepe's, a drive through. Lines were long, like In n Out Burger, when this place opened.

I have had the tacos, enchiladas and chili rellenos. They are all good.

These tacos were a little heavy on the shredded beef, which a lot of people would like. I like a little more balance.

They have good guacamole, and give you a pretty decent serving in the standard plates.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #18 by Kristin Meredith on 26 Feb 2022
  • That looks really good!
  • #19 by BigDave83 on 26 Feb 2022
  •  A lot of the food in this thread looks great.

I have to confess going to a Mexican restaurant is like going to a Chinese restaurant for me. I have no idea what any  of it is by name, I need either a picture or a good description of what the dish is. It is much easier for the GF she always gets the same thing, Flautas or General Tso.
  • #20 by 02ebz06 on 26 Feb 2022
  • A lot of the food in this thread looks great.

I have to confess going to a Mexican restaurant is like going to a Chinese restaurant for me. I have no idea what any  of it is by name, I need either a picture or a good description of what the dish is. It is much easier for the GF she always gets the same thing, Flautas or General Tso.

I know what menu items most are, as we've eaten Mexican food at restaurants and home for many years.
    For Chinese, General Tso Chicken is one of my favorites too.

• #21 by hughver on 26 Feb 2022
  • For Chinese I go with Happy Family. For Mexican I like Enchiladas and cheese crisp.
  • #22 by Bentley on 26 Feb 2022
  • I found that the enchilada's everywhere but California were not baked, just rolled up in the kitchen, sauced and served.  Not for me, have to be baked to get the right texture and flavor!
  • #23 by 02ebz06 on 26 Feb 2022
  • We get a Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole at a place here that is baked and is outstanding.
  • #24 by BigDave83 on 26 Feb 2022
  • We were out today and decided to stop at El Jalisco a place she likes to go.

Of course she had the Falutas with refried beans and rice hold the salad. I had what they call the Grande Especial.  One each Beef Burrito, Beef Enchilada, Chili Relleno, Chalupa, Taco, Spanish rice and refried beans. It was all good, I am guessing the Chalupa was the salad thing on the corn tortilla. I could eat several of those, I always thought it was just a salad. A little salt and pepper and it was very good. Her meal was $13.50 and mine was $13.00
  • #25 by Bentley on 26 Feb 2022
  • I guess it could be a US or Mexican regional thing.  It always seems different.   My friend in Houston called this a Chalupa.

To me, that is a Tostada.

This was a Chalupa in Ft Stockton, Texas!

• #26 by Hank D Thoreau on 26 Feb 2022
  • I found that the enchilada's everywhere but California were not baked, just rolled up in the kitchen, sauced and served.  Not for me, have to be baked to get the right texture and flavor!

I can't speak for other states, but many enchiladas I find in restaurants are like you describe. There are exceptions. You have to find the right places.

I rarely find enchiladas like I cook.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #27 by Bentley on 05 Mar 2022
  • I had Chorizo in Chandler.  It was not bad, but I just saw Chorizo on the menu board and did not see they were going to serve it with scrambled eggs.  I like that, but I was just looking for some Chorizo tacos.  So, since I had not made any in a long time, I decided I would.  Most Mexican Chorizo calls for a 4:1 Guajillo to Pasilla, and if I had those on hand, I would have, next year.  So I used the Red I had, do not even know what we planted last year besides the JalapeƱos!  You can make the steps simple or hard.  If you want to mortar & pestle pepper, garlic and cloves do so. If you want to add all spices together and get a paste anyway you can, do so.  You will need to de-seed dry chilis, lightly roast, cut up and steep in hot water for 15 minutes.  Discard water and add all to blender, with onion and vinegar and blend till very smooth.   Add to pork, mix, then put in strainer with separate bowl and drain over night.  Then cook and enjoy!

Recipe courtesy of Villa Cocina.

3lbs. Ground Pork. (This was loin with 25% fat).
    10 Red Chilis (or the ratio above).
    4 Tbs Minced Garlic
    3 Tbs Paprika
    2 Tbs Koshar Salt
    2 Tbs Ancho Powder
    2 Tbs Chipolte Powder
    2 Tbs Whole Pepper Corns
    8 Whole Cloves
    1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 Medium Onion
    1 Tbs Oregano
    1 Tbs Thyme
    1 Tbs Marjoram

• #28 by 02ebz06 on 05 Mar 2022
  • Don't have it often. Never though about making it.
    I always thought it had pork insides rather than pork meat.
    Will have to add it to my To-Do list.
  • #29 by Bentley on 05 Mar 2022
  • I could not wait for it.  I have had better, from the store.  I think the draining will mellow it out a bit.  I also am beginning to wonder if the stuff I used to get in Fresno was Beef or a combo of beef and pork.  I think it was the El Mexicano brand(Marquez Brothers there in Fresno).  I also would not have believed that the chili could make a big difference, but I am coming off that.  May try some beef tomorrow and also mix some for the combo and see if either taste more like what I remember from the Valley!

• #30 by BigDave83 on 31 Mar 2022
  • Thought I took a picture or two but I must not have. Made something tonight that the GF's family made growing up. They called it Enchilada or Chicken Enchilada. Pretty simple and easy. Doesn't seem to be a real recipe just a list of ingredients.

Shredded or diced chicken.        Left overs work well. I used left over turkey I smoked on Sunday.
    Cream of Chicken soup Usually 2 small cans or 1 large can.
    Salsa
    Milk
    Shredded cheese
    Doritos Used 1 bag opened some and then crushed.
    We add in some hot sauce or Sriracha at times.

Mix this all together well. You are not looking for soupy but want it wet looking. I mix the first 4 things then add in the chips and mix and add salsa and milk as I think I need. Then finally add in the cheese.    (I used 3/4 pound of cheese, had maybe 1.5-2 pound of cut up turkey.).

This filled a 1/2 size steam pan about 3/4 full. Foil and bake time well tonight I did it for close 2 hours took the foil off and mixed it once or twice and put foil back on. Removed foil for about the last 10 minutes.

Spray or grease the pan well to make clean up easier. Even with spraying I had to soak my pan for a while to get some of it loosened up. The SS steam pans clean up fairly easy and they fit in the Breville counter oven. Her aunt made it in a big corning dish.

Her and her Mother put it on a flour tortilla with some sour cream. I just usually put a little sour cream on it and eat it.

Pretty easy to toss together, hardest part is cutting up the meat.

We make it every so often and make for her Pap. we put it in 8x8 foil pans and he freezes it for later. I will get some pictures next time.
Pages:
Actions