Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by BigDave83 on 05 May 2022
  • Those look interesting. Did you bread and fry the fish and is that coleslaw or chunky tartar sauce? Sorry never had a fish taco.
  • #47 by Hank D Thoreau on 06 May 2022
  • I sous vide some mahi mahi for my wife but she is going through oral surgery and still can't have tacos. Mahi mahi is a favorite for fish tacos.
  • #48 by BigDave83 on 06 May 2022
  • I sous vide some mahi mahi for my wife but she is going through oral surgery and still can't have tacos. Mahi mahi is a favorite for fish tacos.

what do you do with it after the SV? is it browned or just cut up, what else goes on it? I like seafood and fish, the GF not so much but if I did something in this order she may eat it.
  • #49 by Brushpopper on 06 May 2022

what do you do with it after the SV? is it browned or just cut up, what else goes on it? I like seafood and fish, the GF not so much but if I did something in this order she may eat it.

My wife gets them from Taco Cabana sometimes.  They are very good.  It's a chain restaurant here in Texas.  Not sure if you have them in PA.  She also makes them from shredded fish sticks with shredded cabbage on a corn tortilla.  I think she uses Gorton's fish sticks.  Not sure on the brand.  It sounds like a weird combination but she likes them.
  • #50 by Bentley on 06 May 2022
  • These were just floured, then egg wash with sour cream and horseradish, then seasoned dredge.  It is finely diced cabbage & carrots with a quick lime, mayo and seasoning sauce.

Those look interesting. Did you bread and fry the fish and is that coleslaw or chunky tartar sauce?
  • #51 by Brushpopper on 06 May 2022

My wife gets them from Taco Cabana sometimes.  They are very good.  It's a chain restaurant here in Texas.  Not sure if you have them in PA.  She also makes them from shredded fish sticks with shredded cabbage on a corn tortilla.  I think she uses Gorton's fish sticks.  Not sure on the brand.  It sounds like a weird combination but she likes them.
    I think I forgot lime juice and pico de gallo.  I seldom eat them because I prefer beef tacos with pico de gallo.
  • #52 by Hank D Thoreau on 06 May 2022

I just seared the fish. This was not for fish tacos. I usually grill zucchini and make rice. For fish tacos I would let the eater determine whether they want a fish fillet or shredded fish in their taco. That's what makes them good. You can decide how to make them.
  • #53 by Bentley on 10 May 2022
  • Crunchy Beef n Bean Supreme Tostadas for Lunch.

• #54 by Bentley on 10 May 2022
  • Crunchy Tacos for Dinner!

• #55 by Zombini on 11 May 2022
  • those look pretty darn good
  • #56 by Hank D Thoreau on 13 May 2022
  • We had bags of small avocados on sale a few days ago so I picked one up for some guacamole to go with the gazpacho I was making.

I got busy and ate all the gazpacho before I remembered about the avocadoes. The upside is that the avocados had ripened perfectly by the time I got to them.

It is not easy to get a whole batch ripened perfectly. You often have to discard over ripe parts and put some extra muscle into smashing some of the under ripe pieces.

This is a quick guacamole. Ingredients are avocadoes, green onions, tomatoes, garlic, salt, lemon juice, and Herdez Salsa Casera. Sometime I use garlic salt.

You can add your favorite chiles if you like. I keep mine pretty mild since that is what my family prefers.

The avocadoes were small but tasty and ripe.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

7 avocadoes made for a big bowl.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Adding green onions. I cut from both ends. I ended up adding the rest when I was done. I didn't want to waste the left over onions.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Adding roma tomatoes.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Adding Herdez salsa. I like Herdez for spicing up guacamole and bean dip.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Finishing up with garlic, salt and lemon juice.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Finished guacamole. I ate some and am chilling the rest. I added a couple of pits. It is supposed to slow browning but that may be a myth.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #57 by 02ebz06 on 13 May 2022
  • Looks tasty.
    A little lime juice on the surface and then push plastic wrap down onto to surface does a pretty good job of preventing browning.
    I add Green Chilies or Jalapenos if I want a little kick.
  • #58 by Bentley on 13 May 2022
  • It is not a myth!
  • #59 by Hank D Thoreau on 14 May 2022
  • This is from a test of 6 different ways to keep guacamole from turning brown. It's from This is Today. Probably not an authoritative test source, but at least as good or better than "heard in the hallways".

This is not the first place that I have heard that this is a myth.

Number one on their list of useful methods is, you guessed it, lime juice and plastic wrap tight on the surface.

I would add the link but I heard links were not allowed.

5. Add the pit and top with plastic wrap
    Some people swear by this one, so we had to put it to the test.

The verdict: Contrary to popular belief, adding the avocado pit to guacamole does not prevent oxidation. In fact, if it sticks out above the surface, it creates air pockets that prevent the plastic wrap from adhering tightly enough.
  • #60 by Kristin Meredith on 14 May 2022
  • What are you paying for avocados in So Cal?  They are $2 a piece back here and not very good.
Pages:
Actions