Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by Bentley on 14 May 2022
  • All I can go by is experience!
  • #62 by Hank D Thoreau on 14 May 2022
  • What are you paying for avocados in So Cal?  They are $2 a piece back here and not very good.

Aldi's sales them pretty regularly for $0.39 each. The price goes up and down, but it is often low enough that I don't have think about it.
  • #63 by BigDave83 on 14 May 2022
  • What are you paying for avocados in So Cal?  They are $2 a piece back here and not very good.

Aldi's sales them pretty regularly for $0.39 each. The price goes up and down, but it is often low enough that I don't have think about it.

Just came home from Aldis 1.45 each for what they called large, had bags of 6 for 4.49 they were not much smaller than the large. I got a bag to give it another try.
     I can  eat Guac out at a restaurant but when I make it at home, I end up with digestive,intestinal issues. Usually just the avocado, fresh garlic, some salt and pepper and lime juice. Going to use jarred garlic or maybe garlic powder. I will sometimes run some fresh onion through the garlic press. I may also try to lightly saute some fresh garlic and onion and make some that way.
  • #64 by Bentley on 01 Oct 2022
  • Arguably the worst Mexican food I have ever had in a restaurant! Margaritas Mexican Restaurant in Hartford.  I should have know it was gonna be bad, when you have one combo...the MARGARITAS FAMOUS TASTER.  No flavor, the tortillas were horrible, ohh and did I mention no flavor!  I leave Kristin to comment about her dish if she chooses!

• #65 by Hank D Thoreau on 01 Oct 2022
  • Bentley,

Any place that sells tacos with prefab tortillas, better be doing most of their business through a drive through window.

I was in Tucson on business many years ago. The person who I was visiting took the group to "the best" Mexican food restaurant in the area.

I ended up with tacos with prefab tortillas. It was really disappointing.

It is not that hard to fry a tortilla. A lot of the good places even make their tortillas from corn.

Those plates just looks like they don't care.

• #66 by Kristin Meredith on 02 Oct 2022
  • I think this is the worst Mexican food I have ever had.  Could go into great detail as to why, but really no point.
  • #67 by cookingjnj on 02 Oct 2022
  • Did not take any pictures, but out at Casa Luna in Somerville, NJ last night.  Had great home made guacamole, and very good Carne Asada.  Yes, the tortillas were homemade.
  • #68 by Bentley on 06 Dec 2022
  • Am going to serve Mayberry Enchirito's...for dinner this Friday.  Test run today.  Ancho, Guajillo, & paseĆ­llo peppers with some tomato sauce.  To thick, wrong color, wrong flavor profile.  Beef filling needs work on flavor too.  Cumin will go in both, thin out sauce and get color right, along with cheddar and black olives for Friday!

• #69 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Dec 2022
  • Maybe try chipotle to get that darker color
  • #70 by Bentley on 07 Dec 2022
  • It needs to be more rust or orange.  The cumin will help a little, but those are some RED chili's!
  • #71 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Dec 2022
  • It needs to be more rust or orange.  The cumin will help a little, but those are some RED chili's!

To my eyes, the chipotle adobo looks closer in color to your Taco Bell picture than to your actual cook which is why I recommended them.
  • #72 by Bentley on 07 Dec 2022
  • Have never bough any, just made it, so I guess I am not real familiar with its color.  I always though it was a kind of Crimson.
  • #73 by Bentley on 10 Dec 2022
  • Enchirito's... with smooth frijoles & Rotel Rice!

• #74 by Brushpopper on 10 Dec 2022
  • I've never heard them called smooth frijoles before but it makes sense.  I hope you used a lot of bacon grease in them.  That's what makes them good when you refry them.
  • #75 by Hank D Thoreau on 12 Dec 2022
  • This is like Claire Saffitz when she was making gourmet versions of products like Twinkies for Bon Appetit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD2OOTx2G9k

I still question making enchiladas with flour tortillas. I guess that's why they had to call it an enchirito.
Pages:
Actions