Pages:
Actions
  • #91 by Hank D Thoreau on 24 Apr 2023
  • We made more smoked shredded chuck roast enchiladas. It in interesting having an enchilada with a smokey meat taste. They are quite good.

I limit the spicing to what is already on the meat when I smoke it, plus whatever comes in the enchilada sauce. I am not sure how I would change it.

Spice changes may compete with the smokey flavor of the meat.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #92 by 02ebz06 on 25 Apr 2023
  • Look very good.
    Don't think I have ever made Enchiladas, guess I will have to expand my cooking...
  • #93 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Apr 2023
  • Look very good.
    Don't think I have ever made Enchiladas, guess I will have to expand my cooking...

Pretty easy to make.  Even I can make them.
  • #94 by Brushpopper on 25 Apr 2023
  • They're really easy if you layer the tortillas instead of rolling them individually.  My mom used to do that and they tasted just as good as rolled.
  • #95 by Hank D Thoreau on 25 Apr 2023
  • They're really easy if you layer the tortillas instead of rolling them individually.  My mom used to do that and they tasted just as good as rolled.

Rolling is also very easy. It only took me a few minutes to roll the tray of 12.

Heat about 5 tortillas at a time in the microwave for 20 seconds with a damp paper towel on top. This is to soften them so that they do not break when rolling.

Then you add the ingredients to the tortilla and roll. Prepping the entire pan takes about 5 to 10 minutes.

I have a picture of this further up this thread (reply #76).

I used smoked shredded chuck roast, shredded cheddar cheese, crushed olives and canned enchilada sauce.
  • #96 by Hank D Thoreau on 26 Apr 2023
  • I finally finished the two smoked and shredded beef chucks.

I made air fryer shredded beef taquitos. This was a refinement of my previous recipe.

I cut the beef back a lot where I was really able to roll them rather than fold and close with toothpicks.

They were much better this way. I find the shredded beef to be very rich. I can handle it better when there is a little less of it.

The original post of this thread shows my original air fryer taquitos.

These were cooked at 400 degrees for 10 minutes (6 minutes followed by 4 minutes).

The longer you go, the crispier they get, until they get too crispy. That is why I stop them in the middle to see how much longer they need to go.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #97 by Hank D Thoreau on 07 May 2023
  • We had some chicken thighs we had to cook. As a change of pace I thought I would make shredded chicken. We made a Mexican style shredded chicken and cooked it into enchiladas and air fryer taquitos.

Both ended up really good, much less rich than the shredded beef chuck. Next time I will cook the chicken on my smoker to add the smoky flavor to the mix.

The pictures show the marinated chicken and the taquitos in the air fryer. I was having some trouble with this batch of tortillas splitting on me while cooking. They still tasted good.

Enchilada pictures are in the next post.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #98 by Hank D Thoreau on 07 May 2023
  • Here are the chicken enchiladas.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #99 by Hank D Thoreau on 07 May 2023
  • We had some extra thin sliced steak to cook so we decided on cooking up some quick marinated beef fajitas. This is a good dish to use on some of the leftover smoked beef.

While skirt steak is most often used, many other beef cuts work out just fine.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #100 by Bentley on 25 May 2023
  • Looks like I will get a 3fer on this picture! Griddle, Breakfast & Mexican!  Homemade chorizo & beans!

• #101 by Hank D Thoreau on 25 May 2023
  • Were you working on making homemade chorizo?
  • #102 by Bentley on 25 May 2023
  • Yeah, made some a couple of day ago.  50/50 pork/beef. I think I have finally found one that gets close to the stuff I used to get in Fresno!

Were you working on making homemade chorizo?
  • #103 by Hank D Thoreau on 25 May 2023
  • Yeah, made some a couple of day ago.  50/50 pork/beef. I think I have finally found one that gets close to the stuff I used to get in Fresno!

Were you working on making homemade chorizo?

Coincidentally, my sister-in-law from Fresno just walked in the door. She is the person that I cooked the smoked salmon for that I posted about today.
  • #104 by Hank D Thoreau on 07 Jul 2023
  • Much better chili rellenos. I will post the changes I made in the chili relleno thread.

These were really good. I eat them with no sauce. They don't need any.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #105 by Hank D Thoreau on 31 Jul 2023
  • I cooked some much better fajitas than my post earlier in this thread. I used pre-marinated flap meat which is the type of meat traditionally used. This was much better than the thin sliced steak I used last time.

I grilled the flap meat at high temperature on my Weber Q2200 gas grill. You want to cook it hot and fast. I started at 500 degrees, but the temperature went down to about 400 after the meat was put on.

Next time I will preheat it to 600 to get a better sear.

The vegetables consisted of strips of red bell pepper, Anaheim chili and onions, with diced jalapeno pepper. There was no need to spice the vegetables since the meat was heavily seasoned.

We served it with pico de gallo on warmed corn tortillas.

This tasted much more like what I expect for fajitas. Next time I would probably dial the spiciness back a bit by doing my own marinade.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]
Pages:
Actions