Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicken Thighs  (Read 1404 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Chicken Thighs
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2022, 12:31:16 PM »

Are nuggets ground?

Based on the texture of them, my guess would be that they are ground
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2022, 10:32:38 PM »

Not sure about everyone else here, but the only way my wife and I like thighs is to really cook them well done.

I will take them as high as 185 to 195 IT. Actually, cooked this way, thighs are my wife's favorite part of the chicken.

I became a fan also after cooking them more thoroughly.

I typically take chicken thighs up to that temperature as well. They and the drumsticks are best at that temperature, it lets stuff break down more and gives a better mouth feel. Also they are fatty enough you can do it without making them dry like would happen with the breast meat.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2022, 02:45:28 PM »

This was my version of chicken pot pie (using deboned smoked thighs). I liked it better than traditional. The smoke flavor was perfect. As you can see, I'm pastry challenged, and no cookie cutters.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 02:50:41 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

urnmor

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2022, 03:03:38 PM »

This was my version of chicken pot pie (using deboned smoked thighs). I liked it better than traditional. The smoke flavor was perfect. As you can see, I'm pastry challenged, and no cookie cutters.

That looks great

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2022, 03:17:46 PM »

Looks terrific!  Love Chicken Pot Pies.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2022, 05:21:48 PM »

That looks good. I would eat it.

Next time just bake the biscuits separate or cover it with some ready made pie crust. Or just don't worry about the biscuits or crust and top with some sliced taters. Or don't top and make mashed taters or rice to have with it.

hughver

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2022, 06:11:56 PM »

That looks good. I would eat it.

Next time just bake the biscuits separate or cover it with some ready made pie crust. Or just don't worry about the biscuits or crust and top with some sliced taters. Or don't top and make mashed taters or rice to have with it.

The biscuits had a great flavor and complemented the stew. 
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2022, 07:08:53 PM »

That's much better than making individual pies.  It looks like my kinda' meal.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2022, 05:48:40 AM »

Looks excellent, nicely done.

hughver

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2022, 02:09:20 PM »

More thighs, 9 lbs. for light smoke 1-2 hours at 150° then sous vide at 180° and into various casseroles.

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2022, 10:48:43 PM »

I normally smoke then kick up the temp to 180 to crisp up the skin. good eating.
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"

hughver

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2022, 01:08:45 PM »

Based on some of the discussion above, I thought that I would increase my temp. from my normal 165°. When I removed the bag from the sous vide, I noticed more than usual liquid. I hope that I did not dry them out.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2022, 03:03:53 PM »

Based on some of the discussion above, I thought that I would increase my temp. from my normal 165°. When I removed the bag from the sous vide, I noticed more than usual liquid. I hope that I did not dry them out.

Depending on what you are doing with them, you can add some of the purge back in.I do that when I do breasts for shredded chicken. Not that they are dry but when open to the air or put in a slow cooker the extra liquid added  in helps out. I do140 for 4-6 for breasts,and done boneless thighs in the 145-150 area for the same time.

hughver

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2022, 06:10:58 PM »

Well, they were not dry, and I always add the juice back to whatever I'm making. This morning it was a chicken-pasta-cheese casserole. after casserole was assembled, I wrapped it in foil and put it in the refrigerator, l will bake later, with pictures.

hughver

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2022, 01:20:02 PM »

Sorry, no pictures but the casserole was somewhat of a bust. Wife did not eat it, I thought that it was over cooked, and had too much tomato paste flavor, chicken was good, however. Maybe better luck next time, going to try a Mexican casserole.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up