Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Oct 2022
  • Are nuggets ground?

Based on the texture of them, my guess would be that they are ground
  • #17 by elenis on 05 Oct 2022
  • Not sure about everyone else here, but the only way my wife and I like thighs is to really cook them well done.

I will take them as high as 185 to 195 IT. Actually, cooked this way, thighs are my wife's favorite part of the chicken.

I became a fan also after cooking them more thoroughly.

I typically take chicken thighs up to that temperature as well. They and the drumsticks are best at that temperature, it lets stuff break down more and gives a better mouth feel. Also they are fatty enough you can do it without making them dry like would happen with the breast meat.
  • #18 by hughver on 09 Oct 2022
  • This was my version of chicken pot pie (using deboned smoked thighs). I liked it better than traditional. The smoke flavor was perfect. As you can see, I'm pastry challenged, and no cookie cutters.
  • #19 by urnmor on 09 Oct 2022
  • This was my version of chicken pot pie (using deboned smoked thighs). I liked it better than traditional. The smoke flavor was perfect. As you can see, I'm pastry challenged, and no cookie cutters.

That looks great
  • #20 by 02ebz06 on 09 Oct 2022
  • Looks terrific!  Love Chicken Pot Pies.
  • #21 by BigDave83 on 09 Oct 2022

That looks good. I would eat it.

Next time just bake the biscuits separate or cover it with some ready made pie crust. Or just don't worry about the biscuits or crust and top with some sliced taters. Or don't top and make mashed taters or rice to have with it.
  • #22 by hughver on 09 Oct 2022

That looks good. I would eat it.

Next time just bake the biscuits separate or cover it with some ready made pie crust. Or just don't worry about the biscuits or crust and top with some sliced taters. Or don't top and make mashed taters or rice to have with it.

The biscuits had a great flavor and complemented the stew. 
  • #23 by pmillen on 09 Oct 2022
  • That's much better than making individual pies.  It looks like my kinda' meal.
  • #24 by yorkdude on 10 Oct 2022
  • Looks excellent, nicely done.
  • #25 by hughver on 18 Oct 2022
  • More thighs, 9 lbs. for light smoke 1-2 hours at 150° then sous vide at 180° and into various casseroles.
  • #26 by MP09 on 18 Oct 2022
  • I normally smoke then kick up the temp to 180 to crisp up the skin. good eating.
  • #27 by hughver on 19 Oct 2022
  • Based on some of the discussion above, I thought that I would increase my temp. from my normal 165°. When I removed the bag from the sous vide, I noticed more than usual liquid. I hope that I did not dry them out.
  • #28 by BigDave83 on 19 Oct 2022
  • Based on some of the discussion above, I thought that I would increase my temp. from my normal 165°. When I removed the bag from the sous vide, I noticed more than usual liquid. I hope that I did not dry them out.

Depending on what you are doing with them, you can add some of the purge back in.I do that when I do breasts for shredded chicken. Not that they are dry but when open to the air or put in a slow cooker the extra liquid added  in helps out. I do140 for 4-6 for breasts,and done boneless thighs in the 145-150 area for the same time.
  • #29 by hughver on 19 Oct 2022
  • Well, they were not dry, and I always add the juice back to whatever I'm making. This morning it was a chicken-pasta-cheese casserole. after casserole was assembled, I wrapped it in foil and put it in the refrigerator, l will bake later, with pictures.
  • #30 by hughver on 21 Oct 2022
  • Sorry, no pictures but the casserole was somewhat of a bust. Wife did not eat it, I thought that it was over cooked, and had too much tomato paste flavor, chicken was good, however. Maybe better luck next time, going to try a Mexican casserole.
Pages:
Actions