Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > recteq

Turning an old mod from my Blaz'n into a new mod for my Recteq 590

(1/7) > >>

okie smokie:
In another life I designed a new diffuser for my Blaz'n Grand Slam. But when I sold the Slam I kept the mod cause it was a 10" by 10" by 3/16" piece of 304 stainless.  Have had the 590 for almost 3 yrs now and like many the diffuser has warped.  I have known that RT has replaced them when requested, but saw no sense in doing so, since the replacement would no doubt do the same. They have replaced the diffuser in the newer model with a cast iron diffuser but do not offer that one as a replacement for the original. So I took the mod and adopted it to the warped diffuser with SS hardware.  The thickness of the mod plate pulled the warp back out of the diffuser nicely.  Cranked it up to 400* for about an hour. Noted perhaps a bit slower to heat up but negligible IMO.  Cool down was slower but otherwise it worked well with no after-warp noted.  Just removed the long bolts and replaced with 1". Drilling the diffuser required getting the guide holes properly placed but was easy.

Canadian John:

This brings back fond memories of when I had my Traeger. Did the same thing. I also noticed longer warm up & cool down times with my 1/4" SS heat deflector reinforcement.  The temperature swings were

also slightly reduced. That is what a heat sink does.

I noticed the expansion rates of the two pieces were different due to their thickness differences. That led me to loosening the 4 pieces of 1/4" attaching hardware slightly to allow movement. This eliminated a

slight creaking sound @ warm up and reduced any stress caused by temperature changes. Fussy I know - just me.

okie smokie:

--- Quote from: Canadian John on March 06, 2022, 08:08:04 AM ---
 This brings back fond memories of when I had my Traeger. Did the same thing. I also noticed longer warm up & cool down times with my 1/4" SS heat deflector reinforcement.  The temperature swings were

I noticed the expansion rates of the two pieces were different due to their thickness differences. That led me to loosening the 4 pieces of 1/4" attaching hardware slightly to allow movement. This eliminated a

slight creaking sound @ warm up and reduced any stress caused by temperature changes. Fussy I know - just me.

--- End quote ---

Wow! Deja Vu all over again!(ala Yogi)  I also noted the clicking sound but was at a loss to understand at that moment. Your experience and mine are the same!  Perhaps I should have the two pieces welded as others have done? How did your hold up over time?

BigDave83:
I thought a few years ago they fixed or tried to fix the warp issue, by having a border the whole way around the top. Pretty much had a piece welded on both sides to connect the front and back. They billed it at the time as doing it for a place to put pellets for additional smoke. It much have been to costly o have that extra step done.

You should not have an issue with warpage any longer.

They always said it didn't effect the cooking of it but the past try to fixing it and now the cast diffuser make one wonder if it does effect the cook or if they were just tired of all of the complaints about them warping. I had seen some pictures that warped so much it pushed the drip tray up.

Canadian John:

--- Quote from: okie smokie on March 06, 2022, 09:32:05 AM ---
--- Quote from: Canadian John on March 06, 2022, 08:08:04 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Wow! Deja Vu all over again!(ala Yogi)  I also noted the clicking sound but was at a loss to understand at that moment. Your experience and mine are the same!  Perhaps I should have the two pieces welded as others have done? How did your hold up over time?

--- End quote ---
I would NOT have the two pieces welded together.  Why? The uneven expansion will continue and could very well end up cracking the thinner material as it expands and cools faster in the thermal cycle. You will

continue to hear noises. The creaking noise could very well develop into a rather loud pop. If one of the two pieces required replacing, both pieces would have to be replaced as they are now one.

As far as holding up goes: I had a good two years of use from the set-up and off to my daughter it went when I got the Memphis.  She has had it close to three years w/o issues as far as I know. It doesn't get

the use it did as when I had it.

To allow for the different expansion rates, all the holes need to be slightly larger than the bolts, ~ 1/8 to 3/16" larger.

To keep things together, double nutting is a good way to go. The first nut barely finger tight; with that being held along with the bolt, then firmly tighten down the second nut. This will allow the two parts to float

or move independently from each other yet keep them together.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View