Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > recteq

Turning an old mod from my Blaz'n into a new mod for my Recteq 590

<< < (2/7) > >>

Bentley:
You get the same even heat distribution you got in Blazn?

okie smokie:

--- Quote from: Bentley on March 06, 2022, 02:25:06 PM ---You get the same even heat distribution you got in Blazn?

--- End quote ---

In the Blaz'n I completely changed the shape from round to square, and thus the distribution was different. In the RT the added square is completely covered by the deflector, so no change in shape or size. 

okie smokie:

--- Quote from: Canadian John on March 06, 2022, 02:06:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: okie smokie on March 06, 2022, 09:32:05 AM ---
--- Quote from: Canadian John on March 06, 2022, 08:08:04 AM ---
 This brings back fond memories of when I had my Traeger. Did the same thing. I also noticed longer warm up & cool down times with my 1/4" SS heat deflector reinforcement.  The temperature swings were

also slightly reduced. That is what a heat sink does.

I noticed the expansion rates of the two pieces were different due to their thickness differences. That led me to loosening the 4 pieces of 1/4" attaching hardware slightly to allow movement. This eliminated a

slight creaking sound @ warm up and reduced any stress caused by temperature changes. Fussy I know - just me.

--- End quote ---

Wow! Deja Vu all over again!(ala Yogi)  I also noted the clicking sound but was at a loss to understand at that moment. Your experience and mine are the same!  Perhaps I should have the two pieces welded as others have done? How did your hold up over time?

--- End quote ---
I would NOT have the two pieces welded together.  Why? The uneven expansion will continue and could very well end up cracking the thinner material as it expands and cools faster in the thermal cycle. You will

continue to hear noises. The creaking noise could very well develop into a rather loud pop. If one of the two pieces required replacing, both pieces would have to be replaced as they are now one.

As far as holding up goes: I had a good two years of use from the set-up and off to my daughter it went when I got the Memphis.  She has had it close to three years w/o issues as far as I know. It doesn't get

the use it did as when I had it.

To allow for the different expansion rates, all the holes need to be slightly larger than the bolts, ~ 1/8 to 3/16" larger.

To keep things together, double nutting is a good way to go. The first nut barely finger tight; with that being held along with the bolt, then firmly tighten down the second nut. This will allow the two parts to float

or move independently from each other yet keep them together.

--- End quote ---

Good advice John, I think I have enough bolt length to do so.  Will look into it. I wonder if the second nut is really necessary since the heat and soot pretty well locks the nut in place anyway?  Really took some tork to get the original nuts to move when removing the bolt/legs. A little research is in order---.

02ebz06:
I had made a lot of mods to my Blazn' GridIron when I had it.
Posted them back on the PH forum.
Don't know if I have any pictures around, I'd have to look.  Have some drawings I think.
I made a funnel for the hopper for easier filling, Extra weight on lid (was always worried about wind blowing it closed), new heat deflector, new grates (the roller grates sagged), New longer handle for opening lid, shelf for side to set thermometer(s) on, and added a Smoke Daddy.

okie smokie:
I also ditched the roller grates. Surprised they still use them after all the complaints, i.e. sagging and not rolling. I replaced with custom 3/8" 304 SS. I also put insulation on the floor because a hot spot there kept the paint peeling on the bottom. Otherwise the pit was a good one. Online service was also good. All USA made.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View